Analytics
5K members online now
5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Event Tracking In Universal Analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

We're tracking conversions on our website through a mix of goal-URL and event-tracking on GA. Specifically, the "sign up" goal is defined as a URL one while the following ones ("asking for a quote" & "purchase") are set up as events.

The problem I have is that we seem to be losing the initial referrer on the "asking for a quote" and "purchase" events; a lot of them are counted as "direct" or "organic" referrals when the user actually signed up from a precise referrer (I know this because we use Woopra as well).

As a result, GA (and Adwords) will tell me that we had 3 purchases this month coming from an adwords campaign, while I can see through Woopra that there were 8 users  who actually signed up from an adwords campaign and then went on to do a purchase.

Any easy way to solve this?

Re: Event Tracking In Universal Analytics

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Ricardo -

When a user ends up on the goal URL, do they by any chance get redirected to a different domain. Is there a step in this process where a new session might start? If there is a different step with a different domain, I would include that in the referral exclusion list so that the original source is kept.

Sorry for the vague answer, just trying to pinpoint the problem.

Cheers,
Tiaan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the answer, Tiaan. Sadly, no, it all stays on the same domain… But the signup and the purchase can be done on different sessions – that's what seems to be the problem, GA is giving me the referrer for the session during which the purchase happened, not keeping the initial referrer of the sign up.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Ricardo,

Google Analytics works on a last click attribution model, so it will always show the last referrer that brought the users to the site before converting. If you look at the different attribution models in Google Analytics, you can look at the first click attribution model if you want to see which channels were responsible for getting the users to the site for the first time.

Here is a link to the help center, discussing Attribution modeling - https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1662518?hl=en

I hope it helps you.

Cheers,

Tiaan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, Tiaan! I was actually checking that out as you were answering. I'll poke around that and we'll probably switch to last non-direct referrer.

Thanks so much,
Ricardo

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Yeah - play around with the different attribution models. I would suggest you look at the multi-channel funnels report to get an understanding of how you channels perform in terms of assisting conversions.

Pleasure.
Tiaan