AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2K members online now
2K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Event Goal

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am trying to set up an event goal related to visitors playing a Youtube video embedded on my site.  I can see through Youtube analytics that the video is being played but can not seem to set up the goal properly to show in GA. Can anyone help?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Event Goal

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

How are you tracking the embedded film clip? Have you added some kind of event tracking to the code or just inserted it as is?

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Event Goal

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

In the "Goal Description" I had chosen "Event". In the "Goal Details", under description, I have added the following:

category = video

action = play

label = the video URL

value > 0

Event Goal

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Sorry for the dumb question, but do you have event tracking code in place on your embedded video clip? You need to have altered the embed code to allow access to YouTubes api, as well as set up event tracking on the site, or via Google Tag Manager. If you do have tracking in place, then use Google Tag Assistant and/or data slayer (both chrome extensions) to see what is being sent to GA from your website.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Event Goal

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am just very new to GA and I don't fully understand how it works. I had created new properties and tracking codes to add to various websites. This seemed to be working well except for Youtube.  I have now added Google TagManager to the site and am working through how to use it for the moment.  Thanks for you advice. I may be back for more!

Re: Event Goal

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

Try following tutorials. It is not easy as DIY. But if you don't know all these things get a help from developer. 

Event Goal

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star

Hi again - you have the basic tracking code on the site, but then you need to add additional code to track those events - such as video plays - which GA will not manage by default. If you are using GTM then measuring events will be easier, but you still may require developer support.

With specific regard to youtube tracking, this is the code I have used in the past which has worked well:http://www.cardinalpath.com/youtube-video-tracking-with-google-tag-manager-v2-and-universal-analytic...