AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
5.7K members online now
5.7K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Event Configuration for a simple phone call Goal based off of Custom Event Data

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We need a quick consult here for what's likely a simple issue!

We have a Goal set up that's supposed to fire off of an Event, which fires off of every click on a phone number - but it's not firing the Goal even though the Event data is coming through.

We've got our click tracking feeding in Event data for all clicks, and the Action for clicks on phone phone numbers appears as (using dummy numbers):

click - tel:555-555-5555

click - tel:555-555-5555

click - tel:333-333-3333

Our current configuration for this Goal looks like this:

call event config.png

What's the best Goal configuration here so that our Goal will fire off of the Actions listed above (a click on any telephone link)?

Thank you!!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Event Configuration for a simple phone call Goal based off of Custom Event Data

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Nathan :-)

When testing the goal -
1) Make sure your GA visits arent being blocked by a filter or you wont be able to track the test
2) If clicking on a phone number you should be able to see in the real time reporting if the goal conversion happens.
** Keep in mind though, you will need to clear your cookies between each test as a goal will only register as a conversion once
during the same session.

Something else to consider too, if using a mobile to test, sometimes hits can be delayed and sent thru later in batches by the phone in order to save battery life
Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Re: Event Configuration for a simple phone call Goal based off of Custom Event Data

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Bronwyn!

Thank you for your suggestions and info here; it's much appreciated.

I've been testing other variations of that Event variable, but can't seem to get it to fire. I'm running out of variations to test! Haha

Thing is - we are indeed getting dozens of calls coming in throughout the day, as some of the numbers we're using are tracking numbers that are reporting calls in a 3rd party system. So the calls are there, this Goal just isn't recording the clicks though, so I know it's still a global issue and not just my testing conditions.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Gday :-)
Am i understanding correctly that the Events are tracking as expected?

eta are you able to possibly provide a link to one of the pages that have the ph number with the event tracking setup, 

(so as I can take a look at the code on the page via my browser)

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here