AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3.5K members online now
3.5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Event Category tracking by user/cookie

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

A quick question regarding how events are tracked on a per user basis...

If I have an event such as a user login or registration does that event get recorded in the user's 2 year cookie? So if users revisit within their 2 year period I can split them into users who have been recorded against this event and users who haven't.

If a event is not recorded on a user by user basis in the client's cookie then ar events recorded on a session by session basis?

Many thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Myles T
November 2016

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Events (or any hits) are not stored in cookies. While events are hit activites, they are basically assigned to sessions which in turn are assigned to users. In Google Analytics' data model, sessions are made up of hits, and sessions are tied to users. A user is identified by the Client ID (which is stored in a cookie), and it's the Client ID that makes it possible for Google Analytics to e.g. tie different sessions from the same user to that user. So over a two year period, yes, you would theoretically be able to create a user based segment and see if an event was triggered in a session by that user 23 months ago, 1 month ago or both. But this is provided that the user has the same browser (and thereby device) and does not clear cookies in those two years.

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

I don't think valus of event is stored in cookie.

It would be reverse, while seeing the event in GA report if you have user id tracking enabled and implemented, you can see which user had the event triggered.

Note: this post has been edited by a Community Manager, per Community Posting Guidelines. Please do not include self-promotional signatures on the community.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi A T,

Thank you for your response. However I am still not clear whether a event is stored against the user (and includes that users subsequent visits) or if the event is stored against the session (so if a user leaves and revisits GA doesn't know that user triggered the event in the first place).

Thanks.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Myles T
November 2016

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Events (or any hits) are not stored in cookies. While events are hit activites, they are basically assigned to sessions which in turn are assigned to users. In Google Analytics' data model, sessions are made up of hits, and sessions are tied to users. A user is identified by the Client ID (which is stored in a cookie), and it's the Client ID that makes it possible for Google Analytics to e.g. tie different sessions from the same user to that user. So over a two year period, yes, you would theoretically be able to create a user based segment and see if an event was triggered in a session by that user 23 months ago, 1 month ago or both. But this is provided that the user has the same browser (and thereby device) and does not clear cookies in those two years.