AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Errors with Campaign tracking URL parameters from Facebook Ads (not appearing in GA Campaigns)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've more recently started using GA's preferred utm tracking URL parameters for Facebook and Instagram adverts. 

The first campaign that was setup towards the end of Sept has been tracking most of the traffic successfully, however with more recent campaigns the data doesn't seem to be pulling through into the GA Campaigns menu. This is still the case even if I use the Google Campaign URL builder, so I'm a little confused as to why the data isn't being pulled through into this section of our GA account. 

One example of the URL parameters from the first campaign is:

?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=2016-relaunch&utm_term=followers&utm_content=mixed-placement

One example of the URL parameters from more recent campaigns is:

?utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=2016-jobs&utm_medium=social&utm_term=vice-uk&utm_content=vice-creative

Is this perhaps an issue on the Facebook Ads Manager side? Are there any best practice suggestions that may help out with this issue? I'm really keen to aggregate data in the best places possible and be able to easily compare via GA. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated :-)

Sophie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sophie H
December 2016

Errors with Campaign tracking URL parameters from Facebook Ads (not appearing in GA Campaigns)

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Sophie,

By any chance your url redirecting to some other page when accessed with these url parameter? if possible you can email me your exact url at suradha@gmail.com. 

Thanks

Sura

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Sophie,

Can you check whether you are seeing the campaign medium in real time by clicking on Real-Time->Traffic Sources and then access your page with the above mentioned URL parameters.

Thanks

Sura

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Sura,

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond and to help out - much appreciated :-)

I can see the campaign medium (social) and source (facebook) within real-time tracking, however we have a lot of organic referrals form this channel also, so I'm unable to distinguish between campaign and organic here (e.g. currently we have 25 active users referred via the medium of social, 19 of which are from Facebook). 

I had temporarily set up some campaigns with the source 'facebook-ads' instead of 'facebook' to try and differentiate between these two, however this has been since I've experienced the GA tracking issue, so have sadly had no joy in finding this data logged within GA. 

Do you think it might be more likely this is an issue caused on the Facebook Ads Manager side? 

Thanks again,

Sophie

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Sophie,

Are you able to see your campaign name under Acquisition->Campaigns->All Campaigns ? .  If possible can you paste your exact url with campaign parameters?

Thanks

Sura

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Sura,

I can see some of the information for the first campaign that I ran - Campaign Name '2016-relaunch'. 

However any campaigns that I have set up since then are failing to appear. Campaign names include '2016-jobs' and '2016-companies' - neither of which are appearing within the Campaigns Menu, despite the UTM parameters being setup in the same way. 

The only thing I tested changing very slightly is the order of the campaign/source/medium URL parameters, e.g.

?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=2016-relaunch&utm_term=followers&utm_content=mixed-placement

?utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=2016-jobs&utm_medium=social&utm_term=vice-uk&utm_content=vice-creative

?utm_campaign=2016-industries&utm_source=facebook-ads&utm_medium=social&utm_term=creative-icons-uk-exldn&utm_content=pol_solsona

It seems like the first campaign has pulled through fairly accurately to GA Campaigns menu, but more recent campaigns are failing to for some reason. 

Bit of a mystery - but hopefully we can get to the bottom of it!

Thanks so much,

Sophie

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sophie H
December 2016

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Sophie,

By any chance your url redirecting to some other page when accessed with these url parameter? if possible you can email me your exact url at suradha@gmail.com. 

Thanks

Sura

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Sura,

Yes - you cracked it, thanks so much.

I've been delving into it a little further and some of the posts that we were using to create adverts on Facebook had bit.ly links within the text, so there were re-directing to the full link, without the additional URL parameters. 

I was hoping to be able to track more URL parameters through our Facebook Ads manager, but I'll still be able to track campaign name, source and medium, which will be more information stored than currently anyhow. 

Thank you so much Sura, really appreciate your help with this.

Sophie

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Ha ha Cheers! Smiley Happy