AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Enhanced ecommerce checkout behavior funnel when checkout process depends on the product

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I was wondering how it's possible to create an enhanced ecommerce checkout behavior funnel when checkout process depends on the product. For example, there are two products - A and B. First two steps of checkout funnel are the same, but if on the 2nd step user chooses additional options for item B, two more steps appear in the funnel expanding it to a count of 5 instead of 3 steps (item A case). I came to a decision of creating different views for each of the products, but it's not optimal as I won't be able to see an aggregated data for first two steps for both products. 
Any ideas? How do you solve this? 

Re: Enhanced ecommerce checkout behavior funnel when checkout process depends on the product

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Great question, Elvinas
I can't think of a good enough solution to your case, if you really want checkout funnels to be varied by products.

From my perspective, the longer the checkout process is, the more likely users drop off.
If I were you, I would just create a universal 3 step checkout process, but use javascript to show/hide additional information or form that you need for specific products.

Marko

Re: Enhanced ecommerce checkout behavior funnel when checkout process depends on the product

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for the reply.
Well, from my personal experience effectiveness of the checkout funnel depends on what people have to do there and what they gain from it. For example, in flight tickets industry it's possible to get insurance or car rental services during the checkout process and it extends checkout process by few more steps. People really like such additional options as they feel it saves them time or money. Creating hidden content that pops in with the help of javascript is not an option. The page may look crowded and this may create a bad user experience which is far worse than few % drop in funnel process.
Well, I guess I'll stay with different views for each product then.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Would the Enhanced Ecommerce Measuring Checkout Options (checkout_option) work for you - re: attaching "more events" to a Step?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi and thanks for the reply. Actually, in another case, it would. But in my case, those additional checkout steps have important options itself that may have a direct positive impact on business goals (Order value, CLV, etc.). I think that it's also possible to consider multiple dynamic checkout steps as a single step or create funnel with events. But I don't see it as an optimal solution Smiley Happy