Analytics
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Enhanced Ecomerce: Product vs SKU (or variation of a product)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

By the definition of productFieldObject, it seems to equate to a (specific) "SKU"

Tracking a "listing of SKUs" for impression and click is straightforward, however, if a "Product Listing" is a listing of Products (made of one or more SKUs) how, or is there, a way to track?

• Product ID is not a SKU ID (so the productFieldObject.id will refer to different objects)

Thanks for any input/advice/direction! 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Enhanced Ecomerce: Product vs SKU (or variation of a product)

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

How do you mean "Product ID is not a SKU ID"?

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/enhanced-ecommerce#impressi...

It says "The product ID or SKU".

So it's up to you what data you are sending to GA in your impressionFieldObject.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Arnold M,

Thanks for your time! Yes, that link is well understood (or so i think).

"Product ID is not a SKU ID":
A (parent) Product can be made up of one or more "variations" (differ by color, size, etc.). These are "SKUs" (children of a parent Product).

Example:
- Product P001
- With variations/Skus: 12345 and ABCDE

- So in the case of a PRODUCT listing (not SKU listing) the impression is PRODUCT. The click event also refers to a PRODUCT ( impressionFieldObject.ID is P001)

- It will then go to a PRODUCT DETAIL page (the impression is still a PRODUCT) - impressionFieldObject.ID is P001.

- The PRODUCT detail page will display all the variations of that PRODUCT (12345 and ABCDE).

So, from this point onward, events like ADD TO CART, VIEW CART, TRANSACTION, etc will be SKU level (user has chosen a specific "child", variation of a PRODUCT (a SKU) - impressionFieldObject.ID is now either 12345 or ABCDE

That means impressionFieldObject started with ID that was for a PRODUCT (in listing, detail) - e.g. P001. Then in the "Shopping flow", which is SKU level, the ID will differ - eg. 12345 or ABCDE.

So in this case, (it's my impression) that the full flow is disjointed(?) and therefore, "Product Performance" will be off - it can't track accurately from look (listing impressions/clicks, detail) to book (shopping, transactions)?

Thanks again!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hmm...I think there is a way:
I'm going to try to use "PRODUCT ID" all the way and see if using "variant" field (for Sku level tracking) is the "right" way....

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Doesn't look like it'll work the productFieldObject.id  seems to be the "key". So it's not really a Product or Sku ID at the end of the day. It's really a (specific) variation of Product - therefore a "Sku".

Example:

• Google Shirt, Product ID A
    • Blue - SKU ID 001
    • Red - SKU ID 002

On a Product Detail Page:

• Can't use ID A, must send "view" tracking for Blue and Red - therefore Views for IDs 001 and 002

On Add/or Remove to/from Cart

• Follows that we don't Add "Google Shirt", we add a "Red Google Shirt", ID 002
  • Same for Remove from Cart

So the only way a "Product Listing" will work is if it is a SKU level listing to maintain consistency.

If the listing is Product level, then the only way to stay consistent is to extract each item in the list into SKUs and send those as "listing views"

If this is inaccurate, appreciate comments/corrections. Thanks!

Ed

Enhanced Ecomerce: Product vs SKU (or variation of a product)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Did you ever come up with an approach for this? I'm working through the same thing.