AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Engagement Goals.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I just wanted to find out how many people stayed on pages for more than 5 minutes but it looks to be the most complicated thing, ever!

The site I want to measure is a blog, with *long* text heavy articles.  I expect most people visit, and either bounce straight away, or stay for more than 5 minutes to read the article, and then, most likely, bounce (of course it would be nice if they shared, subscribed etc too...).

So what I really need to know is how many visitors stayed on the website, or even better, on a specific page, for 5 minutes or more. And set that as a Goal.

The reason this seems so complicated to me is GA can't measure the time spent on an exit page.  

I've got as far as setting up a Custom Goal, but this doesn't verify, and is ambiguous. I've read a mention of virtual page views.  Would that be applicable here?  Just, what is the best why to measure if people are engaging with individual articles, considering that they may well exit immediately after reading only one page.

Many thanks in advance,

colkav

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Colkav
January 2016

Re: Engagement Goals.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
The way to do this is by using a javascript snippet to sent a non-interaction event at the 5-minute mark. GA will record the time on page up to the non-interaction event (5 minutes).

An example of this technique is described in this article:
http://help.analyticsedge.com/googleanalytics/measuring-time-on-bounce-page/
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Colkav
January 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
The way to do this is by using a javascript snippet to sent a non-interaction event at the 5-minute mark. GA will record the time on page up to the non-interaction event (5 minutes).

An example of this technique is described in this article:
http://help.analyticsedge.com/googleanalytics/measuring-time-on-bounce-page/
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Many thanks for your help Mike but i can't for the life of me get it to work.  I'm not skilled in javascript but with a bit of common sense, and tutorials, I've tried adding the script to a wordpress site the 'proper' way as described here.  I also tried using a plugin.  Both methods, when loaded in a browser, report an error along the lines of :

ReferenceError: Can't find variable: ga
(anonymous function)sitename.co.uk:73

The number at the end of the last line changes, and I take it to mean the line where it fails.  It's also reported '1' here, in the first instance. In other words, I think the browser believes there's an error on line one of the javascript.  I'm sure it's my fault but, I can't figure it out

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
I did that once, too.....you have to match to the version of GA tracking code snippet you have on your site.

Some versions use ga('send', 'pageview'); syntax, so referencing ga('send', 'event',...) will work

Other versions use _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']); syntax, and you would have to use _gaq.push(['_trackEvent', 'name', value]); format

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

You were quite right, I was using a WP plugin that used Classic analytics

I am now using the Universal tracking code, and still the problem persists.

When I inspect the page, I see the following GA script:

(function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){

(i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o),

m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m)

})(window,document,'script','//www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga');

ga('create', 'UA-XXXXXXXX-X’, 'auto');

ga('send', 'pageview');

When i load the website, my browser reports a similar error, from what I can make out, at line 6, with the message:

ReferenceError: Can't find variable: ga

(anonymous function)bouncetime.js:6

(I’ve called the script ‘bouncetime.js’).

With regards to the bouncetime.js script, I just copied and pasted the script as shown here, and saved the file to my WordPress theme 'js' directory, as described here.  It seems that this method requires the removal of html from the script, so I removed the following:

<script type="text/javascript">
</script>
</head>

And that's all the modifications I made.

I can see the script is indeed reference in the source of the page.  Actually, here's a screenshot...

Screen Shot 2016-01-05 at 12.55.00.png

Any insight mush appreciated!

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
I am not a javascript programmer, but the value of ga is probably not passed to your separate function, and that is why there is an error. Embedding the script into the header with the GA code would fix that.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I ended up using a WordPress plugin to insert the Javascript in the head, as apposed to inserting code in functions.php....
For anyone else with similar problem, see here:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/34615428/adding-javascript-to-capture-google-analytics-events-in-...
Thanks again for your help Mike!