AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Ecommerce Tracking, all the transactions reported as Direct

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi all,

We have Ecommerce installed through GTM on our website and we're tracking deposits.

We have some problems tracking the source of a user that makes the deposit - about 99% of the deposits are reported as Direct, which is impossible. We somewhere lose the source, I think.

Here's how we do it:
Users have to login to be able to make a deposit.
When they login to their account the first time, we save the cid in _ga cookie and every time a user makes a deposit, we pass the saved cid with it. We don't update the cid, we always use the initial one, regardless they login from a new browser, device, etc. we have the cid. But we end up having almost all the deposits as direct.

Does anyone know of any reason this would happen?

Thank you.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Levon A
December 2016

Rising Star
# 11
Rising Star

Hi Levon,

Yes!  That is why I was asking.  So that is most likely your problem.

Since the update or deposit occurred after the campaign time out... you get direct.   If it occurred within the 2 days, you would get proper attribution.

As long as you get a hit from that cid within the campaign timeout, the attribution is preserved.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Levon,

I'm not quite following you.  If a user logs in and then makes a deposit, why are you capturing cid?  Does this all happen online on a site you control?   You should only need the cid for cross domain tracking or to pass to a CRM or other system so that you could use it later for the measurement protocol.

Direct attribution issues can be caused by redirects, pages without tracking code, third party payment processing etc. 

Best,

Theo Bennett

Connect on LinkedIn

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks Theo,

Yes, the deposits are made on 3rd party websites and those domains are added to the referral exclusion list.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi Levon,

Are you using the API and pushing the data in-page as a transaction, or are you pushing in via the Measurement Protocol?

-Theo

Connect on LinkedIn

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Theo, we're using the Measurement Protocol. 

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Okay, thanks.  So this is the way it works?

1. User registers, you store CID in back end system / CRM

2.  When deposits are made, you push a e-commerce transaction hit to GA with the deposit amount and using the original CID.

is that about right? 

If you are truly using original CID in proper format I would expect that the transaction would be fine with original source/medium and you would have the revenue reported on the days of the push.  Is it occurring outside of 6 months?

I've done similar installation using classic ecommerce and the MP, but also sending a transaction with a product of "lead" or "user" at registration and then using the original transaction ID and pushing additional products to it while adding the revenue.

I suppose you could also use a customer lifetime value custom dimension scoped to user and update that each time as well.  You could send a non interaction event with it and that should achieve same.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Connect on LinkedIn

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thank you, Theo.

Yes, the 2 steps you described is the way we do it.

It doesn't occur outside of 6 months.

I'll check the rest of your response with our team and respond shortly.

Thank you,

Levon

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star

Hi Levon,

Sounds good... add your payload here too.   Also, are you just testing it now, or did it work in QA and no longer does?

Best,

Theo Bennett

Connect on LinkedIn

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Theo,

It's been a couple of months we implemented Ecommerce.

There were other issues, we have fixed them, but this part never worked correctly.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Theo,

You were asking about 6 months - Is it occurring outside of 6 months?

Do you mean the default campaign timeout?

Because in my session settings, the campaign timeout was set 2 days. I just changed it to 6 months again.

Do you think this might be the reason?

Thanks,

Levon