AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Ecommerce Site Duration Report

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

New to Analytics custom reporting.

Would like to make a custom report to view the average length of the visitor's first session without a transaction but the visitor returned a second time and made a purchase. I.E. New visitors that average over 250 seconds on the site are more likely to purchase if returned to the site within 3 days. How can I build a sequence or filter a segmentation to view this average duration?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Steven K
December 2015

Re: Ecommerce Site Duration Report

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
I can't resist an interesting challenge....I think this works:

You can get the Days to Transaction distribution from the Conversions-Ecommerce-Time to Purchase report.
Then create a new segment with the following Conditions:
Filter > Users > Include >
...Sessions To Transaction > 1 (restricts segment to users that did not convert on first visit)
+Add Filter
Filter > Sessions > Include >
...User Type contains 'New Visitor' ( restricts segment to the user's first session)

Then use the Audience-Behavior-Engagement report to check the Session Duration distribution.

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Steven K
December 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
I can't resist an interesting challenge....I think this works:

You can get the Days to Transaction distribution from the Conversions-Ecommerce-Time to Purchase report.
Then create a new segment with the following Conditions:
Filter > Users > Include >
...Sessions To Transaction > 1 (restricts segment to users that did not convert on first visit)
+Add Filter
Filter > Sessions > Include >
...User Type contains 'New Visitor' ( restricts segment to the user's first session)

Then use the Audience-Behavior-Engagement report to check the Session Duration distribution.

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Interesting, 0-10 Seconds has a few but 11-60 Seconds is considerably low with a little increase at 60-180 but a significant increase at the 180-600 mark. While not overly surprising but from a website that yields over 500 orders a day it shows that remarketing to new users over 60 seconds might be ideal. Thanks for the quick reply will surely help my company!