Analytics
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Ecommerce Goal Source Authorize.net

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

On my shopping cart users are directed to Authorize.net's payment form and back to my site.  I am having a problem having my acquisition goal sources assigned properly.  Analytics is either counting the goal source as an Authorize.net referral or my receipt page (that the user is directed to from Authorize.net) as an organic search goal source.  This only happens with the Universal Analytics tracking code, the old version of the tracking code works fine.  

I have authorize.net and secure.authorize.net in my referral exclusion list (and it still shows up).  I had cross domain tracking with authorize.net set up and that didn't make a difference. The only other solution I can think of is to revert back to the old tracking code (which I would like to avoid).  Please help!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Ecommerce Goal Source Authorize.net

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Beck,

with cross-domain tracking set up correctly (have you been using Google Tag Manager for that?) and both your domain and authorize.net in your referral-exclusion list (you don't need to add the secure. host here, just the domain) it should definitely work.

Is your Analytics code actually implemented and fired on the authorize.net domain too? So, do you have authorize.net data in your Audience > Technology > Network > Hostname report? Or does it appear only as referring source technically?

Christoph

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Christoph,

Thanks for the reply. Previously I was building the analytics tracking code and setting up cross domain tracking manually (and not using the GTM). I set up GTM this morning with authorize.net setup under cross domain tracking. I do not have authorize.net in my audience>network>hostname report.

My referral exclusion list includes my domain and authorize.net.

Thanks,
Beck

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Beck,

if you don't have authorize.net data in your hostname report you don't have any tracking code installed there. In this case, cross-domain tracking isn't any advantage because there's nothing to track there. It doesn't matter, however, if you've set it up because cross-domain tracking in GTM is so easy to manage.

Inclusion in referral-exclusion list should actually solve the issue because then the referrer information is removed when a user enters your site from authorize.net. He then appears as direct traffic which shouldn't raise any problems provided it's less than 30 minutes after his last hit on your domain before going to authorize.net. In this case, the hits should gather in one common session.

However, in your initial post you mentioned that you actually had included it already in your referral-exclusion list. Could it be that the data you're talking is from dates before you included authorize.net in that exclusion list?

Christoph

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Christoph,

Thanks again for your reply. All of my conversion goal sources are still showing up as referrals from Authorize.net. authorize.net is in the referral exclusion list. No, I am not looking at old dates. I wish that were the case. Authorize.net has been in my referral exclusion list for some time and I have referral goals from them as recently as yesterday.

I'm not even sure if I can post tracking code at Authorize.net. They recently limited everything we can do on our account to plain text. At any rate, as I thought, it doesn't sound like the Cross domain tracking really is the problem, the referral exclusions is.

Any other ideas on how I might be able to get this to work?

Thanks,
Beck