Analytics
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Duplicate Goal Completions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Google Analytics is logging multiple submission goal completions from the same user on the same day and sometimes even days after. Our system is set up to generate a unique url for each conversion so it's very unlikely that someone would convert using the same url multiple times a day. I originally thought that perhaps the users were submitting more than once but if that were the case our email tool would show duplicates in the list and it's not. 

Does anyone have any thoughts on what could be causing this? 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jamal H
December 2015

Re: Duplicate Goal Completions

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Mobile browser refreshing after being pushed to the background? Lots of browser tend to cache the last pages viewed...sometimes actions of the user cause a refresh. Just guessing...
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jamal H
December 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Mobile browser refreshing after being pushed to the background? Lots of browser tend to cache the last pages viewed...sometimes actions of the user cause a refresh. Just guessing...
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jamal,

Am also facing the same, everyday I get many duplicate goal completion. Did you get any any solution to avoid this in google analytics.

Thanks
Abhay Kumar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Mike

Did you get any any solution to avoid this in google analytics. Due to this my complete goal conversion has become errornous.

Thanks
Abhay Kumar

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Your best approach is to do a detailed investigation to try to understand specifically what is causing the problem in your situation.

Create a custom report with multiple dimensions and metrics, looking at such things as city, service provider, browser version, minute index, previous page path, page and entrances, pageviews, and exits. Look at a single day. That should let you isolate at least one user with multiple goal URLs and you can go from there.

Duplicate Goal Completions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Mike

I've identified this as an issue with bookings made just on mobile browsers. 

How can I resolve this?