Analytics
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Download events are incoherent with actual user numbers

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

We run a open source software site. In order to download the software the user just fills a form with his name and email. 

All the downloads (for different software versions) have event tracking on them. Once the user fills out the form, he doesn't need to again, so he can download other versions, other platforms, etc. (he's remembered via cookie). So a user can have 3 download events, while I will only see one email generated on my end.

I understand that a goal is supposed to be enabled only once per session, even if the user has multiple downloads, which is good for me. 

My issue is that the numbers that I see on analytics are still about 2x the number of emails, even when looking at it from a daily view. It unlikely that every user on the site is downloading two things. Is there a way to see only goals via unique users/sessions, and not have them multiplied?

Thanks!

Re: Download events are incoherent with actual user numbers

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

What's your goal setting? A screenshot if possible may help.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Marko,

We have 2 goal settings that I setup, one is a destination url:

Screen Shot 2016-04-04 at 8.45.02 AM.png

and one is event based:

Screen Shot 2016-04-04 at 8.46.12 AM.png

One is just from a few days ago so I wouldn't pin the issue on dual goals.  

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the screenshots!
From my understanding, /thank_you_ page is right after the submission of email registration forms, and the second event goal happens when clicking on a download button, is that right?
And your question is why the /thank_you_ goal completion numbers are 2x the number of email registrants you receive, right?
Dual goals is not a problem because you can check stats for any individual goal. A screenshot of what report you check may also help.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes - thank_you_ page is a destination goal (which user gets to after filling form + where the DL starts), and the event goal is a onclick event, triggered when the button is clicked.

Yes the question is the destination goal (along with the event goals) are both around 2x the number of actual emails registrants we actually receive in the system.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Too many possibilities... But most likely the issue lives in the conversion funnel/goal structure.
For example, you have a registration confirmation page /thank_you_reg_confirmation (count 1x) and a download button on this page, click on download button redirect to /thank_you_for_download (count 2x).
Or simply wrong GA implementation.

If you'd like to provide a url to your site, I can take a closer look at it.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I'm not 100% certain that I understand, although we do have multiple thank you pages, as each OS version of the software directs to a thank you unique to it.

If you can I'd love for you to take a look, here is our DL page - http://goo.gl/Pn37AZ

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I found the issue. It's because when you migrate to Universal Analytics, you haven't cleaned the legacy GA tracking code completely.
Therefore, there are two GA tracker there, sending every hit twice (pageviews, events...).

Search for analytics.js and ga.js in your source code, you will find both. Removing the script of ga.js, which is the legacy google analytics, should fix your problem.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Looks like there are 3 GA tags on your pages. 2 instances of UA-49XXXXXX-1 and 1 instance of UA-31XXXXXX-1. As Marko said, you need to remove the old version of the GA code with the UA-id - UA-49XXXXXX-1. This should sort out the issue.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi - Thanks for looking at the site. Actually thanks to your input I was able to see that actually the analytics account that I use is the one that is still using legacy code, while the UA code is for a different account that I can't even access.

But what I still don't understand is since each event is relevant to the corresponding analytics account number, than why is the event still being recorded twice in my analytics account specific view?