AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Doing detailed tracking with google analitycs

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

I have a site that is selling online products.

The site has a 4 step funnel:

Step one Email Only -> Step 2 Lead Details -> Step 3 Payment Page -> Step 4 Thank you page.

I send traffic to the site as the following: 

mysite.com?campaign=data1&source=data2&p1=data3&p2=data4&p3=data5&p3=data6

I want to have a dashboard like:

Campaign data1and p1 data3 brought 1000 clicks. finished Step 1 250 Finished Step 2  100 Finished Step 3 50 with total of 450$ sales.

I am a programmer, so I know how to build events. what I am missing is the rest, marketing url parameters tracking combined with the events.

Basically I want to save money and efforts on a third party tracking system,

Thanks 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Doing detailed tracking with google analitycs

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Avi,

firstly, you have to use Google Analytics UTM campaign parameters [1] instead of arbitrary URL parameters to get the campaign data into Google Analytics.

If you want to have more than basic numbers for each step it's best to set up separate goals for each payment step. If revenue is fixed for each payment assigning that revenue as goal value in goal definition is sufficient. If it's a real shop with different revenues for each order, you have to set up e-commerce tracking.

Finally, you can set up a custom report containing your campaigns as dimensions and the relevant goal or e-commerce data as metrics columns.

Christoph

[1] https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033867?hl=en