Analytics
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Does Google Analytics track a goal more than once for one session?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I have several goals set up for a website based on destination URLs. Basically if someone gets to the page X, a conversion (i.e. lead) should be recorded. Because we provide live pricing (based on the information they fill in) a visitor may decide to go multiple times through the process to see how they price changes depending on their personal info/circumstances.

Now, is Google Analytics seeing each one of those as a separate lead/conversion or not?

And this can be split into two more general questions:

1. Can a goal get recorded more than once under the same session?

2. Can a goal get recorded more than once for the same visitor (even if not in the same session)?

Thank you.

Re: Does Google Analytics track a goal more than once for one session?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello,

Simple is no.

GA will track any Goal Conversion once per visit. If you have 2 Goals set-up, one visitor during the same session can convert on both goals, and GA will count both conversions. It won't count repeat goal conversions per session (so if someone reaches your Thank You page for a Goal Conversion, and then goes to refresh the page 5 times, GA won't count 6 Goal Conversions, it will only count 1 / the "unique pageview").

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

Thank you for your answer. But just to make things 100% clear - let's say for example that a goal is set up for the completion of a form. The visitor completes the form, gets to the thank you page and then goes back to the home page and then completes the form again. Will this be tracked only as one goal conversion in GA?

And what if the visitor completes the form once, then navigates to a few other websites and after half an hour returns (same browser, same device) to the website and completes the form again? Will this be tracked each time as a goal completion?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have an issue where im able to fire the same goal multiple times per visit which is stuffing up my analytics.. people are clicking the button (which fires event/goal) and then obviously clicking it again and each click is firing a goal. I thought users could only fire the same goal once per session [censored]???????????? can anyone help?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Deactivating the button on first click is not such a bad idea anyway and would surpress repetitive clicks.