Analytics
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Does GTM affect the ability to track UTM links? Help!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello I seem to have an issue having google analytics record my tracking link "?utm_source=testsource&utm_medium=testmedium&utm_term=testterm&utm_content=testcontent&utm_campaign=testname"

I obviously added this to the end of the link. My co-worker claims that it is because Google Tag Manager does not support reading these URL's. I find a hard time believing that because google analytics is being fired by google tag manager. Does google tag manager affect using UTM link campaigns? If it doesn't what could be a source of my problems?

Thanks

Nishant

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Does GTM affect the ability to track UTM links? Help!

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Nishant
No, GTM will not have any effect on how UTM parameters are tracked in GA.
Without knowing what your URL is to check the setup, all we can do is guess.

It's possible that a redirect to SSL causes the parameters to be dropped.
It's possible that GTM is not set up correctly or GA is not setup correctly in GTM.
It's possible that they are being tracked but the data hasn't populated yet.

Unfortunately, that's all I have for you without knowing more.
I'd recommend that you install the Google Tag Assistant chrome extension to examine what is fired and when.

Hope that helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your prompt reply. Here is the full URL

Here are the 2 links i'm trying. One is in my demo environment and the other one is live.

https://sugarbaystt.catestweb.caribbaconnect.com/?utm_source=testsource&utm_medium=testmedium&utm_te...

https://caribbaconnect.com/st-thomas-virgin-islands/?utm_source=testsource&utm_medium=testmedium&utm...

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Nishant,
I suggested that you use the Google Tag Assistant Chrome extension.

I went ahead and checked it and it immediately spat out the error. Your GTM container is not implemented correctly.
&lt;script&gt; tag must not be included in a <div>

I would HIGHLY recommend that you use this extension to troubleshoot as it will give you answers MUCH quicker than waiting on me to reply Smiley Happy

Hope that has answered your question.
Best of luck!
Dave

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks. I will pass this on to my developers.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for your help. I seem to realize my bug was user error. I was looking into the events section instead of the Aquisition -> Campaigns.