Analytics
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Do Same Event Values Fire Goal Conversions 2x?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Help, please!  I’m concerned that one of our goals is double-counting and need to confirm that is/not the case.

BACKGROUND

The Goal in question is a goal that fires based off of Event conditions of eventAction Begins with click - tel:

We have two events set up that could potentially trigger this goal(?).  Event A is a click mapping event that tracks all clicks and reports {{PagePath}} for eventCategory and click – {{ClickURL}} as the eventAction.

Event B tracks clicks on tel: links, with eventCategory of Phone Number Clicks and eventAction is set as click – {{ClickURL}}

QUESTION

Since both of those events are reporting ‘click – {{ClickURL}}’ as the Action, and GoalID1 is triggered off of click – tel:  ….does that mean we’re double counting phone call events and firing that goal 2x?

I'm thinking that it is the case, we only need to trigger the goal off of Event A, and need to remove Event B.  Would you agree?

Re: Do Same Event Values Fire Goal Conversions 2x?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

A Goal is recorded once per session per user. Even when the Event is fired multiple times in same session.

Form what you describe, the Goal in question [eventAction Begins with click - tel:] is recorded when Event B (and not the Event A) triggers, as the EventAction for:
- Event A will look like: click – http://www.example.com ==> doesn't match Goal settings
- & for Event B it'll look like: click – tel:123-456-7890 ==> matches Goal settings

Hope this clarifies!