Analytics
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Do I need cross domain tracking?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi

We use iframes/forms on our website. When people submit these forms, they are redirected to another page on our website (to say thanks or give them their download)

What data/reports should I be looking at to determine if GA is counting sessions twice - i.e. when people submit the forms, I want to know if GA is recording those people as leaving the site, and then entering the site when they are redirected to the thank you page)

I've seen in our reports that our thank you pages are showing a high bounce rate; however, people should only be able to see these pages if they've submitted the forms (so it's at least the second page). I'm also seeing referrals from the URL of our marketing automation platform where the forms are hosted.

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Do I need cross domain tracking?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Just read this article from Google: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2795830?hl=en&ref_topic=6010375

If I remove referral traffic sources (so the marketing automation platform's domain) would that overcome the problem?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi,

If you add the domain to the referral exclusion list it won't start a new session so the form submission process will be tracked in a single session. Let me know if you have more questions.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks Arnold.

One question before I add this.

We have goals set-up to record how many people sign up for gated content/complete forms, where anyone reaching a URL beginning with thank-you is recorded as a goal conversion (this is because all pages after completing a form start with thank-you).

We wanted to use segments to show how many people who land on a particular page go on to complete this goal. However, because of the iframes, is this going to be an issue (i.e. is GA recording them as leaving the site and therefore when they do see the thank-you page it's not going to trace back to the page they landed on originally?)

I read that if someone leaves the site and comes back within 30 minutes it's still recorded within the same session, but I just wanted to check that it is going to record the goals as we want when I add the domain to the referral exclusion list.

Thanks