Analytics
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Do Goal Funnels persist across windows?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

I have question regarding tracking goals. I wish to track successful signups, and the signup process looks like this:

Signup page -> Email confirmation -> Confirmation page

As such, I set it as a destination goal (Confirmation page) with the only previous step being Signup page.

Destination: Confirmation page

Step 1: Signup page

However, to my mind, for that to work, Analytics must track the user across different windows as the user first signs up on the page (step 1), goes to their email (possibly in a different window or app), clicks the confirmation link, and lands on the confirmation page on possibly another window as well. Does Analytics Goals support this tracking across windows or is there a setting I must select?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Eugene L
May 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

As long as they return in the same browser, GA can identify that it is the same user based on the client ID stored in the _ga cookie and the funnel will work. GA scans through each session, checks if a certain step is viewed, and then increments that step by 1 in the Funnel Visualization report. Hope this helps, let me know if you have more questions.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Eugene L
May 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

As long as they return in the same browser, GA can identify that it is the same user based on the client ID stored in the _ga cookie and the funnel will work. GA scans through each session, checks if a certain step is viewed, and then increments that step by 1 in the Funnel Visualization report. Hope this helps, let me know if you have more questions.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi @Arnold M, you is right but I have a question. If he has utm_parameters on his confirmation link, do you think this might cause irregularity on his flow reports? Because when acquisition source changes GA terminates the current user's session and starts a one and funnel steps and completion will be in different sessions.

Regards

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Güney,

It won't cause any irregularities. As I mentioned above, GA scans through each session and if a certain step was viewed, it increments the step by one (unique pageview). Also if the goal was completed in a session (same or new) it increments the number of goal completions by one (again a unique pageview, one goal completion is recorded per session). Let me know if you have more questions.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Incredible, thanks!