Analytics
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Discrepancy between Unique Events and Goal Completions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

With all my other clients for which I've set up Goals based on Events, the number of unique events = the number of Goal Completions. e.g. Email Address Clicks. 

I'm working on a new client with the same setup: a Goal that is based on an event (namely, clicking on the Buy button which takes you to another site). However, in this case, the number of Goal Completions is much lower than the actual number of Unique Events. There is no correlation other than being a lot lower. e.g. 90 unique events = 62 Goal completions.

It doesn't make sense to me. The Goal setup in admin is very simple and is the same as I've used with all my other clients. It uses the Event Action. 

The only thing different between this client and all my other clients is that the website is a Single Page Application. Google Tag Manager is being used to fire off the events.

Any ideas why there is this large discrepancy for this client? 

Re: Discrepancy between Unique Events and Goal Completions

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello Meira!

Interesting problem! I would like to point out that goal completions is a session based metric not a hit based metric. If you created a custom report that showed sessions next to event category/action or label the numbers would match up much more closely.

As for explaining the reason as to WHY unique events do not match sessions, I would guess that it has to do with the fact that you can have different unique event counts at the category, action, and label level.

Re: Discrepancy between Unique Events and Goal Completions

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

Hello Jason,

I've encountered the same issue as Meira. However, it is already after Google's introduction of Unique Events (New), so I'd expect the goal completions and unique events to match. Yet, they still don't (see below). Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance!

unique_events-goal_completions-discrepancy.PNG

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

That is quite a pickle Honza!

I looked at some of my own reports and found a few discrepancies myself.

1. I browsed around to a single day that had a big discrepancy

2. I created a custom report that had the landing page, event action, label, minute index and page by unique events (new)

3. I also pulled up the goal completion report with minute index.

4. I sorted both reports by minute index to try to find the extra hit on unique events that wasn't being processed as a goal. I found one that existed on the unique events report. I used the details of that report to create a segment for the extra unique event then browsed around the user explorer report.

After finding my one user I noticed that my events had different event labels.

I don't know if this is the same exact problem you have, but I imagine if you go through the same steps you may reveal some more insight into the problem.

I think it is important to remember that the old "unique event" metric changed it's aggregate data based on what fields were omitted from reporting, and that the new "unique event" metrics is always aware of the category, action and labels of an event regardless of whether they are present as dimensions in your report.

That being said, if Your event category "contact form 1" has multiple label or action arguments that are fired, then the unique event (new) metrics will be aware of them an increase for each one. GA will look for the first instance of this occurring and process it as a goal.

The Google Article that Diagrams this can be found below:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/7084499?hl=en#events

I hope this helps!

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Meira,

After extensive researched and not many answers, I decided to sift through Google documentation and make a test. I know this is late but maybe it will help others in the future (unless I missed something and this is all wrong). This is what I understood after reading the links bellow:
- Events - are tracked whenever they happen 
- Unique Events - are tracked only when the event has unique values (category, action, etc)

- Goal Completions - are session based

So I decided to put this to the test. I created the following event:

Category: Social Media
Action: Click
Label: {{Target URL}}

Then I set up a generic goal with values only in the Category and Action sections and proceeded to test by:
- Clicking 4 times on the facebook link
- Clicking 3 times on the twitter link
- Clicking 2 times on the linkedIn link

And I ended up with the following data after 24h:

9 Events: 4 Facebook + 3 Twitter + 2 LinkedIn
3 Unique Events: 1 Facebook (only 1 counted since the value for category, action and label were identical for all 4) + 1 Twitter + 1 Linked 
1 Goal Completions: Because I made the test in a single session.

The fix to my problem was to create another goal and pay attention to the label field. That being said if you're tracking a lot of different phone clicks or link clicks, goals might become useless since you can't cover every variable (or you could but it would be a waste of time).

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033068?hl=en
https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/events
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/7084499?hl=en&ref_topic=1033067
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1012040?hl=en

ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi blic V,

Thanks for your message.

I've the same problem as Meria... why paying attention to the label field please? I couldn't quite understand what the problem you think is, would you mind clarifying please?

Thanks, A.

Badged Google Partner
# 7
Badged Google Partner

Wow, cheers for testing it!

So, if I have a contact form on a Contact page and then a lead capturing form on a Catalogue page and someone fills out both forms, it's one goal completion, but two unique events, right?

Cheers,

H.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It seems so. In my opinion, you should be able to set Goals to be not session based and then have them match with Events such as Contact Form Submissions. We have a site with 100+ targeted and segments Contact Forms and we have been seeing this discrepancies lately. They all come with users completing several forms in one session to for example download several Whitepapers of our site.

It would be very nice to have a workaround to get Event and Goals Completions match.

Any ideas?

Paco F.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Did anyone have any follow-up answers to this?

I'm seeing the same issue with a huge discrepancy between Events and Goal Completions. Namely, I have a Goal setup for Event Action = Download|Print|Share (using regex).

In the last 7 day period, I saw 247 events, but only 130 goal completions. It's feeling like setting up Goals isn't proving to be that useful...

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Justine!

Can you clarify that you are comparing unique events to goal completions? Goals can only occur once per session and events can fire multiple times.