Analytics
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Different Goals, The same Destination URL

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am having a real issue. I did see a similar question asked but doesn't make sense. I have 8 goals with the same destination but the conversion starts from a different landing page. When one goal fires it triggers all 8 because I have the same destination. I thought GA with be able to figure it out when I set a funnel of the landing page to 'Required" but it doesn't. Below are a sample of the first 2 goals. Can anyone help me understand what I need to change in order for goals to be separated? The remainder of the funnel is fairly similar in all cases. It is just the start page I would like to track. Thanks in advance.

Purchase as a Gift.pngPurchase for Custom.png

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Alco,

This can be quite tricky to understand without fully knowing how GA treats destination goals.

Firstly, if you use the same destination for all your goals, then as long as a user gets to that destination regardless if they reached any of the previous steps a goal conversion will be recorded.

If you check the funnels for each goal, the numbers will be different but the base line conversion will be the same for all those goals as the conversion is counted for each unique session.

I would suggest you create a custom segment (sequence segment) and build the above steps into a separate segment. This way you should be able to see your desired results.

Thanks,

Adam

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have the exact same issue as Alco. What is the point of having required steps, if they don't actually matter when a person reaches the destination page? 

I only have 3 goals, but each one ends on the same exact destination page. However, I have a different funnel for each of the 3 goals, and this funnel is set to "requierd."

Yet regardless of which funnel a person uses to get the destination page, all three goals get triggered. 

I read Adam's explanation about segments, but this doesn't make sense to me on what I am supposed to do. 

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jeremy,

"I have the exact same issue as Alco. What is the point of having required steps, if they don't actually matter when a person reaches the destination page? "

The required step allows you to see the funnel visualization for users who start at that step, however the overall conversion will still count it as a goal for those who reached the destination page regardless.

Jeremy, can you provide me with a breakdown of your scenario? With some urls or dummy urls so I can try to assist you.

Thanks,

Adam