Analytics
4K members online now
4K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Differences between external clicks, page views and virtual page views in funnel

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

we get many visitors from a comparison shopping site. We use a virtual page view and a funnel to calculate the conversion rate. Unfortunately, the results are not very consistent. The comparision shopping site counts 43 clicks. In Google Analytcis there are 22 views of the virtual pageview that is created. In the funnel (virtual pageview > confirmation page after purchase) I can only see 17 virtual page views. What's wrong here? In our case that would result in a conversion rate of 2 - 6 %. Not bad! But is it 2 % or 6 %? That's a huge difference. Any ideas?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Differences between external clicks, page views and virtual page views in funnel

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hey Moses,

There's a lot of questions I still have ... where are you placing the code for your virtual page view? On a different domain? Inside a one-page checkout? What do you mean by funnel to calculate the conversion rate? Why is this not being doing automatically through your Conversions or Acquisitions report?

What do you mean by "In the funnel (virtual pageview > confirmation page after purchase) I can only see 17 virtual page views."

Further clarification will help answer your question.

- Josh
Joshua, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Re: Differences between external clicks, page views and virtual page views in funnel

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Josh,
thanks for the reply. The code for the virtual page view is on all pages. It is included like that:

var ref1= document.referrer;
var search = "geizhals.at";
if (ref1.indexOf(search) > -1)
ga('send', 'pageview', '/virtual_geizhals.html');

So, each visit from any page of the "geizhals.at" domain should fire a virtual page view. The last step in the funnel is the success page of a multi-page checkout. The conversions or acquistions reports won't do the trick as far as I understand it. The last referrer to the success page is, say, Paypal. But I need to include the very first referrer (the external link to our shop, in this case www.geizhals.at).

To your last question: While (for this example) 22 virtual page views were tracked as pages (here: websitecontent > all pages > /virtual_geizhals.at), only 17 show in the funnel, where /virtual_geizhals.at is the first required step. Doesn't make sense to me. Both numbers should be exact the same, I guess.

Do I expect too much? I created a goal that tracks the success page only. Yesterday, it tracked 4 of 5 definitive purchases. Why only 80 %?
Mike

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi Moses,

Is "geizhals.at" not identified as referral traffic in Universal Analytics?

Regarding first click, you could go to Model Comparison report at look at first interactions attribution model

For more on first interactions attribution you can read this article: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1662518?hl=en
Joshua, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Differences between external clicks, page views and virtual page views in funnel

N/A
# 5
N/A

I have 48000 Views and 27 Clicks but no purchases. Is it my page wrong.