AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Difference between ecommerce transactions & goal completions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there, 

Not all the transactions are shown in the e-commerce reports, almost half of them.. the goal completions show the correct number of transactions..Any idea what could cause this discrepancy?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Isabel F
May 2016

Re: Difference between ecommerce transactions & goal completions

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Isabel,

U suspected it was Magento. It seems to be a common issue, if you do a Google search for "magento ecommerce tracking missing transactions" you'll see a lot of people complaining.

The transaction details are sent to Google Analytics using a tracking code on the success page. Either some users are never reaching this page or they close the success page as soon as they see that the transaction was completed. There can be other resources on the page that delay firing the transaction code so it does not have a chance to send the data to Google Analytics. Hope this explains the problem, let me know if you have questions.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Isabel,

What ecommerce platform are you using? How is your goal set up?
Is there anything common in the missing transactions?

If you could provide more details about your setup we could help with debugging.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Arnold, thanks for your reply!
I'm using Magento and have not been able to find something common in the missing data yet..
The Goal is set-up with the success page as destination and the funnel -steps throughout the checkout process.
Please let me know if you need any more details!

Thanks
Isabel
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Isabel F
May 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Isabel,

U suspected it was Magento. It seems to be a common issue, if you do a Google search for "magento ecommerce tracking missing transactions" you'll see a lot of people complaining.

The transaction details are sent to Google Analytics using a tracking code on the success page. Either some users are never reaching this page or they close the success page as soon as they see that the transaction was completed. There can be other resources on the page that delay firing the transaction code so it does not have a chance to send the data to Google Analytics. Hope this explains the problem, let me know if you have questions.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Wow Arnold, yes this explains it! Thank you..
I may be pushing my luck here.. Smiley Happy But other than speeding up the page.. is there anyway we can fire the transaction somewhere else; directly at the transaction completion, before the success page?

Thanks