Analytics
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Difference between Goal Completions vs. Direct Conversions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I am trying to see how many signups I received from a campaign and am getting two different numbers. Under the tab of Goals, Overview, and then segment to the goal SignUps that we set up, it says I have 5 signups from a campaign platform we used. When I go to "Multi-Channel Funnels" -> "Assisted Conversions" and segment by the campaign source,it says I have 0 assisted conversions but 10 last click or direct conversions.

My overall question is: what's the difference between Goal Signups and Direct Conversions/Last Click? Are the "direct conversions" my real number of signups? If not, what is it? 

Thank you! 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Difference between Goal Completions vs. Direct Conversions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jordan,

There is an article on how goal conversions can differ from Last clicks/Direct conversions.

Goal Conversions - https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2520139

Multi Channel Funnel Reports https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6083362?hl=en&ref_topic=6080686

Did you set up a funnel for your goal? Was the first step required? If people are skipping ahead to the end of the funnel that might explain why your goal is not completed.

The real number of signups would be the higher number.

M

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi,

If you haven't found a solution to this can you check this information for me:
Take your campaign time week/month and go to Acquisition -> Campaigns and check how many Signups you have.
Notice do not use any segmentation.
Then check the MCF report again and tell what is the number of Signups there.
You can choose your Signups goal from top left corner drop-down.
Find your campaign from the reporting rows. I can't tell under what channel you find your campaign (if it is AdWords it is under Paid, otherwise you might find it under Other)

Let me know!
--
To make bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible

Antti Nylund, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Just clarification:
Goals are completed whether required step is completed or not. Goal completion might not show in the funnel report but in Goal report it will.
Required step does not filter any goal completions
--
To make bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible

Antti Nylund, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.