Analytics
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Difference between Channels Report and Assisted Conversions Report

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dear all,

as I'm quite new to GA I apologize in advance for this (potentially) silly question Smiley Happy

I want to analyze the channel distribution of goal conversions and found quite substantial differences between the Channels report and the Assisted Conversions report. The total number of goal completions/conversions is the same in both reports, but the channel distribution is rather different.

I'd assume the channel attribution in the Channel report is based on the Last Click model, hence I'd expect identical results in both reports?

Thanks for your help.

Jan

acquisition_channel_report.pngChannel Report

conversions_MCF_assistdconv_report.pngAssisted Conversion Report

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jan Hendrik S
May 2016

Re: Difference between Channels Report and Assisted Conversions Report

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Channel Report and the Assisted Conversion Report don't measure thing the same way.
They use different attribution reporting methodology.

In the Channel Report you have last non direct interaction.
In the Assisted Conversion Report you have last interaction.

So in the AC report you'll get a looot of conversions attributed to direct traffic but in the CR report those conversions will be distributed between more channels.

See explanation for models here: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1665189?hl=en&ref_topic=3205717

And no it is not possible to make both reports use the same logic.

View solution in original post

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Guys,

we have the nearly the same problem.

The Assisted Conversion is different, as the total number of assisted conversion.

Thanks for help!

screenshot.png

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

I think this is due to the fact that an assisted conversion can be attributed to more than one channel. For example the conversion with the path
"Display -> Organic Search -> Direct -> Conversion"
is an assisted conversion with two channels "Display" and "Organic Search" (the GA tooltip says "Assisted Conversions = The number of conversions for which this channel appeared on the conversion path, but was not the final conversion interaction"). Hence, in the channel split it's counted twice while in the total number it's not.

BR,
Jan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
But I still don't understand the difference between the Channel Report and the Assisted Conversion Report (see my original post) :-)
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jan Hendrik S
May 2016

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Channel Report and the Assisted Conversion Report don't measure thing the same way.
They use different attribution reporting methodology.

In the Channel Report you have last non direct interaction.
In the Assisted Conversion Report you have last interaction.

So in the AC report you'll get a looot of conversions attributed to direct traffic but in the CR report those conversions will be distributed between more channels.

See explanation for models here: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1665189?hl=en&ref_topic=3205717

And no it is not possible to make both reports use the same logic.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for clarification!