AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Difference Between Ecommerce Overview and Product Overview Revenue

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there, Everyone: 

I was looking in Google Analytics under the ecommerce tab and notice there is a difference between the Ecommerce Overview and the Product Performance > Product Overview, and don't understand why.

For example, let's say that for a given week, the ecommerce overview says that we sold 48 products for a total of $15166

When I click on the Product Overview, it says that we sold the same amount of products (48 products) but for a revenue of only $15987

Any help in figuring this out would be GREATLY appreciated.
1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Jyothi,

GA Ecommerce sends a transaction which typically includes the amount of the transaction including tax and shipping.   Then a separate product array is sent that includes just products, quantities and item cost. 

Normally your ecom overview would be higher than product revenue.  That said, these two sets of data have to be configured and past to GA dynamically by the platform or your developers and there is room for error.   It's best to check your transactions and amounts against your actual sales to make sure the data is accurate.   Applying a coupon that reduces the overall transaction amount and not product cost would also surface something similar to what you've seen.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Bennett,

Thank you for your response.

The revenue which I'm seeing in ecom overview is the actual revenue I'm getting and currently we not offering any coupons/offers.

I will look into other details as well.