Determining How Frequently Goal A preceded Goal B
Hi Google Analytics support community,
I have a question regarding segmentation and reporting for goals.
Assume that I have two goals on my site:
- Goal A registers how many people signed up for a sweepstakes drawing
- Goal B registers how many people placed an order for my product
Let's assume that Goal A has been completed 200 times, and Goal B has been completed 100 times.
I can theoretically divide the 100 Goal B into two segments:
- X = the number of times that a completion of Goal B was preceded by a completion of Goal A.
- Y = the number of times that a completion o Goal B was not preceded by a completion of Goal A.
- No matter what, X + Y has to equal 100
In theory, if Y = 100, or every Goal B was preceded by a sweepstakes entry, I can make the claim that the sweepstakes drove orders for product.
Conversely, if X = 100, or Goal B was never preceded by a sweepstakes entry, I can claim that the sweepstakes had no effect on orders for product.
I'm not entirely sure how to do this. I think I can get 90% of the way there, but I'm a little unsure.
To measure Y, I created an advance segment using "Sequences" as the primary filter:
- Filter includes sessions
- Sequence starts with any user interaction
- Step 1: Goal A per session is greater than or equal to 1
- is followed by
- Step 2: Goal B per session is greater than or equal to 1
Then to measure X, I duplicate the segment, except step 1 turns into "Goal A per session equals zero".
I'm not sure this is quite right. I think it's close though.
Can anybody in the community tell me the best way to track the above?
Re: Determining How Frequently Goal A preceded Goal B
Quick question - are Goal A and Goal B both Destination Goals?
If so, I'd recommend just setting up a Goal C to track exactly what you're looking for (how many times Goal A preceded Goal B).
Goal setup: Custom
Destination: Goal B's URI
Step 1 Screen/Page: Goal A's URI
The funnel conversion rate for Goal C will be exactly what you're looking for!
Hope this helps!