Analytics
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Destination goal on another site?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Customer wants to measure how much traffic he is sending to another site. I tried a Destination goal with the full URL to the other site. I'm guessing that won't work. I get 0% conversion on Verify, but that might be because the link is new and there might be zero traffic. It makes sense that GA can't recognize landing on a page in another domain. Please confirm or disconfirm my guess that you can't put another domain's URL in the Destination goal.

Assuming I'm right, how do I instrument the link on our site to record that the visitor clicked on it. (And it took him to the other site.)

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Destination goal on another site?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi :-)
What you could do is track the outbound link as an event, and then track the event as a goal
The following page has the code you need to add the outbound link tracking directly to your site
and instructions on how you also need to modify the link
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1136920?hl=en

Once that is setup and has been tested to be working, you can then track the event as a goal.
Keep in mind the verification is only an indicator, if its a new event etc, then there likely wont be enough
data for the verification to actually work (that doesn't mean the goal itself wont work if it is setup
correctly)
Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here