AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Destination goal not tracking using RegExp

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello guys, Im having problems tracking URL goals with regexp

URl structure: /board/88/profile?serviceType=boarding --> the "88" is the profile ID and, therefore, a variable.

another example: /board/265/profile?serviceType=boarding

Im using RegExp --> /board/.*/profile\?serviceType=boarding to track that but its not working.

Does anyone have a thought on what might be happening and how to fix it?

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tiberio C
April 2017

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

@Tiberio C if you've excluded query parameters, that's the reason why this goal doesn't work. Your goal URL includes a query parameter.

If you've created this goal 5 days ago and you excluded query parameters on the 20th of April, that's probably the reason why you don't see any goal completions. Smiley Happy

Hope this helps.
Taavi

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Tiberio,

This regex should match both of these URLs. Please go to your All Pages report in GA and use a table filter and exactly the same regex. It should help you to figure out what's wrong this regex or URI-s (why some of the pages are not counted as goals).

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Taavi

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi, Tiberio,

Taavi's right and that your regex should work. Would you be able to provide a screenshot of your goal configuration?

It may reveal more.

Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn

Re: Destination goal not tracking using RegExp

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

RegExp filter pages result.JPGsite content - all pages filter.JPGlast day pages accessed.JPGgoal completions.JPGgoal config.JPGHey Guys, thank you for replying.

Hey guys, thanks for the replies.

I followed Taavi suggestion and went to behaviour/Site content/all pages/ advanced Filter by RegExp /board/.*/profile?serviceType=boarding and it DID show page results. However, those don't show up on the goal completion. that's even more strange.

Find attached screen shots of the goal config, RegExp advanced filter and page results, goal completions, graphic showing page access over time (and stopped on April 20)

ps: on a side note: it is very odd that the pages with this structure were being accessed every day, multiple times, on a regular basis. And, from April 20, they just stopped. is it possible that some GTm plugins (like lunametrics canonical URLs) could get in the way of this tracking? I ask because i saw some plugins were installed on April 20 and I'm thinking it's not a coincidence.

So, there are now 2 concerns:

1) why there are no goal completions if the regExp is correct?

2) what could be the reason for stop the tracking of the pages on April 20?

Sorry for the long post

Thanks 

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

When did you create this goal? (a week, month or year ago) Did this goal work properly before 20th of April or it hasn't worked at all?

Maybe query parameters have been excluded and that's why you don't see those pages in your reports anymore. Use this kind of regex in your table filter and look for insights: /board/.*/profile

Can your find any spikes in your reports/graphs starting from April 20? It should help us to figure out what might be wrong.

Looking forward to hearing from you. Hope that @Nicky Y can share his thoughts as well.

Cheers,
Taavi

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Goals were created April 21. Query parameters have been excluded. Maybe that's it. Just excluded query parameters exclusion filter to see if data pops up. Hopefully, it's that. By tomorrow I'll have an answer. Thank you very much.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tiberio C
April 2017

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

@Tiberio C if you've excluded query parameters, that's the reason why this goal doesn't work. Your goal URL includes a query parameter.

If you've created this goal 5 days ago and you excluded query parameters on the 20th of April, that's probably the reason why you don't see any goal completions. Smiley Happy

Hope this helps.
Taavi

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Taavi, thank you for the help. Solved my problem

Cheers bud