AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
5K members online now
5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Destination goal not tracking properly

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've set up a destination goal as a regular expression with /en/checkout/orderConfirmation as the goal.  I was testing this by placing 14 orders yesterday.  Today, when I check the conversion report, I'm only seeing 5 conversion goals registered.  When I look at the behavior report and filter on /en/checkout/orderConfirmation, I see all 14 order confirmation page hits.  

Is there a reason the goal would not equal the number of orders/pages registered?  I'm perplexed by this mismatch.

Thanks,

Kip

1 Expert replyverified_user

Destination goal not tracking

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

How many unique pageviews do you have for your goal destination page? Goal conversions are counted only once per a session, so if you placed multiple test orders in a single session, they were counted only once. Hope this explains the difference.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for the reply, Arnold.  All 14 order confirmation page hits in the Behavior report have 1 unique pageview.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

So your order confirmation page received 14 unique pageviews? You made each test transaction in a separate session?

Basically the number of goal completions should match the nr. of unique pageviews of the goal destination page in the given period.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

If I understand what you're asking, yes, the order confirmation page received 14 unique pageviews.  The order confirmation page is appended with the order#.  So, the URL is essentially .../orderconfirmation/123456.

I see 14 unique order confirmation page results, but only 4 of them are registering as goal completions.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi,

Ok, I didn't know that the URLs are different. That explains the 14 unique pageviews, but regardless of the different URLs, the same goal can be completed only once in a single session. When testing goals make sure you do every test transaction in a new session if you want the numbers to match. Please check the document below about sessions in Google Analytics:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2731565?hl=en

If you are tracking ecommerce transactions, I'd suggest to also set up ecommerce tracking.

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/ecommerce

Let me know if you have more questions.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for another reply and the link to the support article on sessions.  It does seem quirky to me, but if I'm understanding correctly this scenario would result in what I'm seeing:

-User (me) initiates a session, makes a purchase (orderconfirmation page, unique page hit & goal accomplished)

-I immediately navigate to the shopping path again and make another purchase (orderconfirmation page, unique page hit, but because I'm in the same session, the goal does not register)

Is that correct?  If so, it's problematic for testing this way, but probably won't happen all that frequently in production, real-life scenarios.  Still a good thing to be aware of.

Thanks again!

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi,

Yes that's correct, it happens exactly as you described.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

So is this justified to register only 1 goal completion per session?

whats the logic?