AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Destination goal - multiple directories - tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

I am at the end of my wits now. I have set up destination goal tracking to see which areas of the website are busiest. Our site is not straight forward by any means. I know and at the present time it can not be changed so I need to track entries into multiple pages/directories.

So I need to match anything in

/journeyplanning/

/buses/

/timetables/

Problem is that any of these can also have .aspx behind them or several other characters that determine the actual timetable

I tried following regular expression

/journeyplanning/|/buses/|/timetables/(\.aspx)?.*

but when I compare the figures of journeyplanning page hits in behavior and journeyplanning page hits in goal conversion sections over last 3 days, the goal section is shy of nearly 1000 entries. That is a big number. If you have any idea what am I doing wrong, please clue me in.

Thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

Any particular reason why you chose goal tracking to report this?

User can only complete a goal once during session so if he loads 12 pages from one section and one page from another section they are ultimately equal in goal reporting (1 and 1)

If you want to track the usage of those 3 areas/folders/directories you could do a Advanced Segment

where you include content matching reg exp:

^/(journeyplanning|buses|timetables)/.*

explanation:

url starts with / and continues either journeyplanning OR buses OR timetables continuing with / after which any number of any characters is allowed

Benefit of using segmentation is that it is retroactive while goal completions are counted from goal setting

--
To make bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible

Antti Nylund, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.

Re: Destination goal - multiple directories - tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Fabulous. This is so helpful. Thank you. I am quite new to this so this is a great tip. And thanks for streamlining the regular expression. Smiley Surprised)

Lucia

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

No problem Smiley Happy

Just post back if you need more guidance.

--
To make bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible

Antti Nylund, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.