AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Destination Goals - How to only count the first hit when for confirmation pages.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I want to track conversions based on someone landing on a confirmation page. Each confirmation page is unique to a person, however someone can access their confirmation page multiple times. How do I create the goal so it only takes the first hit for each confirmation page?

Destination Goals - How to only count the first hit when for confirmation pages.

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

Google Analytics Goals fire once per session per goal.

Goals function as counters and once a particular goal has fired, that's it for the remainder of that user's session. A user can trigger all 10 goals in a session but each goal will only be captured once. So even if a user submits your specific email subscription form offering free PDF file 10 times in one session, that goal will only fire once. That's right, once.

Another example: You have defined goal X (registration form completion) as a goal conversion. A user comes to your site once and registers 10 users (reach to your confirmation page 10 times) during one session then still 1 conversion will be recorded in Google Analytics. That's how GA works. That's why e-commerce stores use Transactions.

Just tried to clarify this a bit.

Hope this helps.

Taavi

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

hi, @Taavi Kalvi,

Seems like my post was misleading.

You're right

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

-- i've deleted my posts to avoid misunderstanding ---

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

No problem @Дмитро Б. That's why we have this community here to share knowledge and learn from each other. Smiley Happy

Cheers,

Taavi