3.2K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Delete Goals

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hallo

How do I delete a goal that I need more track on google analytics?

Thank You

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Inartis p
November 2015

Re: Delete Goals

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
You can't delete goals. You only have 20 per View. You can re-purpose them as required. If you go over, and use 20, you need to create a new View.

Smiley Wink

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
As a best practice, turn goals off once you no longer use them so that you stop collecting unwanted data.That way, when you repurpose/reassign the goal, the data collected starts making sense right away, instead of comparing it with irrelevant historical goal data.

If you are going to *need* all 20 goals in a view, this could be a sign of poor planning in terms of conversion.
historically speaking, we only had 4 goals per view then those got "organized" in sets once we reached 20 goals per view.

Seeing how we have 4 goal types (URL destination, pages per sessions, time per session or events), you may want to group your goals by types and/or use secondary views for micro conversions, leaving the macro goals for the main view for instance.
VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Delete Goals

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Julien,

So this means it is never possible to delete a goal in GA?

Even if I've finalized one, made a mistake and never used it?

Delete Goals

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Correct. You can turn goals on and off, though.

Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Delete Goals

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok thnx Julien

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So stupidly I activated smart goals and got a heap of goals that appear in all my comversioon reports when they are not infact conversions. 

Is there no way to delete this rubbish data. 

Seems strange that we cannot use the tool to correct a mistake

Delete Goals

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

(Almost) Nothing is retroactive in GA

Delete Goals

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Well it should be ...kind of crazy its not... you make one mistake and it ruins your figures and reporting forever...mmmm seems backward for a technology company

Delete Goals

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Given the colossal amount of data Google has to process for millions of website, I hardly think that's feasible.

Google 360 offers some reprocessing, not the free version.

Also, maybe setup goals properly from the beginning? Test goals out for a couple days and adjust where needed.