Analytics
4K members online now
4K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Default Channel Grouping channel definitions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

1) For my reference, when the Default Channel Grouping definitions evolve, are the updated channel definitions reflective towards the legacy created views or do they only apply to views that are created after? 

Default Channel Grouping channel definitions

The default system channel definitions reflect Analytics' current view of what constitutes each channel in the Acquisition section's Default Channel Grouping. While these definitions may evolve as the market evolves, we provide the current definitions here for your information. You cannot edit the system definitions, but you can use different dimensions to redefine a channel.

2) If the changes aren't applied to the legacy views, is there a way to subscribe to these updates via the "Default Channel Grouping channel definition" webpage? 

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/3297892?hl=en

3) Also, after i manually updated the "Default Channel Groupings" (not private) based on the latest definition, I wanted to share that latest channel groupings to other views, however found that when shared, it created a private channel groupings as opposed to update the "Default Channel Grouping" which is the main Channel Grouping that has aggregation available.  Is there a better way to share the configuration to default channel grouping as opposed to manually update legacy views? 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Eric R
December 2015

Re: Default Channel Grouping channel definitions

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

1) I would assume that system side changes are made in a way that it will not destroy integrity of your data

2) If they change something it is most likely published in the blog with explanations how it affects your data
http://analytics.blogspot.fi/

3) I think this is a fail safe.

My opinion is that you should leave system channels as they are and create your own custom channel groupings. Think it like unfiltered view and filtered view best practice. It is much easier to guide users to use custom channels than trying to make sure that everyone who look at the reports understand that in this case the system channels have been altered and the numbers might not be comparable with other GA accounts / reports.
--
To make bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible

Antti Nylund, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Eric R
December 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

1) I would assume that system side changes are made in a way that it will not destroy integrity of your data

2) If they change something it is most likely published in the blog with explanations how it affects your data
http://analytics.blogspot.fi/

3) I think this is a fail safe.

My opinion is that you should leave system channels as they are and create your own custom channel groupings. Think it like unfiltered view and filtered view best practice. It is much easier to guide users to use custom channels than trying to make sure that everyone who look at the reports understand that in this case the system channels have been altered and the numbers might not be comparable with other GA accounts / reports.
--
To make bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible

Antti Nylund, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Antti.

Custom Channel Groupings sounds like an option and hoping that this can be added to the Core Reporting API soon so we can export that dimension similar to how we do it for Default Channel Grouping.

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Tracking-Goals-Ecommerce/Custom-Channel-Grouping-in-a-quer...