AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Data Import for SCV

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have UserID working to identify a user that links with personal data in my back-end database, so I have a Unique Identifier I can pass between GA and back-end systems.

I am trying to import static data using Data Import to create a Single Customer View and to open up better insights into which channel/campaign is best at acquiring/converting etc.

Users register online and Activate offline, so a value I want to import would be an Activation Date. I also want to be able to import other data regularly such as running totals of Revenue.

I have created Custom Dimensions for Activation Date and I have used Data Import using the provided schema to import Activation Date with UserID as the Key.

However, although the import is successful, no data is showing. 

I want to use the User Explorer as the main page for SCV.

This is the view I am getting:

CurrentView.JPG

The view I want to end up with is something like this:

ExpectedView.JPG

I suspect the issue is something to do with not being able to import historical data, but I just want to import static data that is tied to a UserID.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Darryll B
January 2017

Data Import for SCV

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Darryll B answers below:

Is it the case that the user needs to visit the site again (after the data has been imported) in order to make the data appear? If so, that doesn't sound like the promise of being able to import CRM data that I understood GA could handle?

In essence yes - you need subsequent hits as data import widens on hit. There is a feature that Google supports only for the paid version called query time import which would allow you to do lookups on the fly (mind the price though). 

If that is the case, do I need to create a script that makes the 'hit' from the User with all of the Custom Dimensions in order for the data to appear?

Yes - you could and probably should send a hit to Google via Measurement protocol which would widen the user information in order to make it visible inside reports. In any case be careful when doing so as GA is currently heavy on sensitization while on the other hand you are dealing with the user scope. So for your case use non interaction events on user CRM status change (I have recently created an addition to sending MP hits to GA https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/protocol/v1/ - so check it out here in order to preserve user attribution http://escapestudio.net/solving-attribution-google-analytics-measurement-protocol-payload-widening/).

Hope it makes sense.

Kind regards,

Zorin 

Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

View solution in original post

Data Import for SCV

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hey Darryll B, 

This is a tough cookie to answer, but looking into the documentation it looks like you should be pulling this data through a custom dimension rather than the ID view.

Here's what Google Analytics has to say on data import with User ID feature:

User Id vs custom dimensions

The built-in User ID dimension that is available in Google Analytics is not used in this example to join CRM data with a user since the primary use case for the User ID feature is to enable cross device reporting, not for data import. Using a custom dimension is recommended to prevent data collisions between Id's that are used for the User ID feature and Id's that may be used in external systems.

Source: https://developers.google.com/analytics/solutions/data-import-user 

- Josh

Joshua, Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Data Import for SCV

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Darryll B

You should basically widen on a Custom Dimension which mimics the User Id dimension. Once you do that you can data import where the key would be the CD but please note that only future sessions / hits (after a successful import) will be widened (no historic data will be widened). 

Kind regards,

Zorin

Re: Data Import for SCV

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Josh.

I have tried both methods.. using the built-in User ID and also setting a Custom Dimension and using that.

Neither methods allow me to import data using the UserID as the Key and for the data to be visible.

Here is a shot of the explorer showing both User ID tests and the new CD with no data being pulled in.

user_id.JPG

However, I suspect it is more related to the data being imported after the user ID has been created and no further visit from that user.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Zorin,

So, I think this is probably closer to the problem I am having. 

I have moved to using a CD for the UserID as I think this gives me more scope than the GA version of UserID, however still no data is being shown which I suspect is because GA is treating it as historical data.

Here is what I need to achieve....

1. A user will register on the website and an ID is created in the back-end systems.
  2. This ID is also instantly assigned through a Custom Dimension as the User ID.
  3. The service they have registered for is predominantly an offline service and so the user may not need to visit the website again.
  4. Usage data, revenue data and other CRM data is gradually created for the user.
  5. I want this data to be imported into GA at regular intervals (So I will use API eventually but manual for now)
  6. I can then use the usage/CRM data to better understand which channels/keywords/user journeys etc are the most effective for valuable customers
  7. The customer may return to the website at some point, but it isn't necessary.

The importance of joining the data together is to try and achieve a Single Customer View to better understand the customers as a whole.

Now, from what I can understand, the data import examples such as importing 'author' and 'category' etc, is kind of similar in terms of it being static data (unless it is overwritten). So I can't understand why the static data I want to import isn't working.

Is it the case that the user needs to visit the site again (after the data has been imported) in order to make the data appear? If so, that doesn't sound like the promise of being able to import CRM data that I understood GA could handle?

If that is the case, do I need to create a script that makes the 'hit' from the User with all of the Custom Dimensions in order for the data to appear?

Hopefully there is a more graceful solution than that?

Thanks

Darryll

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Darryll B
January 2017

Data Import for SCV

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Darryll B answers below:

In essence yes - you need subsequent hits as data import widens on hit. There is a feature that Google supports only for the paid version called query time import which would allow you to do lookups on the fly (mind the price though). 

Yes - you could and probably should send a hit to Google via Measurement protocol which would widen the user information in order to make it visible inside reports. In any case be careful when doing so as GA is currently heavy on sensitization while on the other hand you are dealing with the user scope. So for your case use non interaction events on user CRM status change (I have recently created an addition to sending MP hits to GA https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/protocol/v1/ - so check it out here in order to preserve user attribution http://escapestudio.net/solving-attribution-google-analytics-measurement-protocol-payload-widening/).

Hope it makes sense.

Kind regards,

Zorin 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Zorin,

Thanks for the response. I had also found the query time option but was
hoping there was another solution before going down that (expensive) route.

I have tried testing with the measurement tool and I had wondered how you
prevent it from messing with the data as it isn't a true visit, just a
method of getting data into GA. So I will read your post on that to see how
best to do it.

But am I right in thinking the overall sessions value will increase when
pushing data using MP?

Just another quick question on the hit builder. I did some tests and
nothing appeared straight away, are the hits from hit builder handled the
same as normal hits, I.e. About 4 hour delay?

Thanks again for your help.

Darryll

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Zorin,

Thanks for the response. I had also found the query time option but was
hoping there was another solution before going down that (expensive) route.

I have tried testing with the measurement tool and I had wondered how you
prevent it from messing with the data as it isn't a true visit, just a
method of getting data into GA. So I will read your post on that to see how
best to do it.

pushing data using MP?

Thanks again for your help.

Darryll

Data Import for SCV

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi @Darryll B,

pushing data using MP? 

By using non interaction events the session count will not increase - I suggest you try the whole thing as a separate GA property in order to better understand how will the entire procedure impact GA reports. 

These are handled  the same way as you would send these via analytics.js or SDKs or similar. 

Kind regards,

Zorin