Analytics
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Customer Journey from Newsletter to Website

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I want to track the full journey of the customer as much as possible over a few different scenarios.

My mediums are a monthly newsletter and a website, splitted into a public area and a login area.

The website is only for a smaller, very specific  target group. The website is not listed in Google, users should only know the URL if they're receiving my NL.

Now there are the following six scenarios:

1.) Customer receives NL and clicks on a link to my website (public area).

Here we have a unique ID set as a parameter in the link.

2.) --- same as above --- AND goes into login area.

Here we have the ID from the NL AND a different unique ID from the login form. It's different because the login is made from an extern system, I've only embed this via iFrame and I'm not able to intervene in this process or read the data from the database.

3.) Customer has received the NL, was going to my website. Maybe a few days later, he's reminding my website and enters direct via URL (public area).

Here we have no ID.

4.) --- same as above --- AND goes into login area.

Here we have the unique ID from the login form (only starting at login area, before he is not identifiable).

5.) Customer tells the URL an other customer who doesn't receive my NL. This customer enters my website direct via URL (public area).

Here we have no ID.

6.) --- same as above --- AND goes into login area.

Here we have the unique ID from the login form (only starting at login area, before he is not identifiable).

Now thats my ideas, please help me to optimize (numbers in the list are regarding to list above):

1.) NL unique ID is set as a parameter. Can I hand over this parameter e.g. as a custom variable into GA?

2.) Can I hand over both parameters e.g. as custom variables into GA? In GA I want to recognize which variables belong together.

3.) Should I set a cookie when the customer is clicking on the link in the NL the first time?  How could I hand this over to GA and how could I recognize to which parameter this cookie belongs? Is GA User ID here the right method, or would I have a problem to link GA User ID to the other variable(s)?

4.) For public area I would have the cookie, for login area the custom variable. Right?

5.) For this scenario is no identification possible I think.

6.) Public area no identification, login area custom variable. Right?

Would be nice if you have some best practices to do this for me Smiley Happy

It's very important for me that I can recognize which variables and cookies belong together. So that in the end I have detailed profiles of mostly every customer.

Thanks to everybody who's reading this and trying to help me.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Customer Journey from Newsletter to Website

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Good Morning,

I'll answer your questions inline:

1.) NL unique ID is set as a parameter. Can I hand over this parameter e.g. as a custom variable into GA?

Yes, You need to configure the custom dimension in the UI then dynamically pass the param into the GA tracking code. You could also use GTM which makes this super simple as they have a URL parameter variable baked in.

2.) Can I hand over both parameters e.g. as custom variables into GA? In GA I want to recognize which variables belong together.

Yes, configure 2 as above.

3.) Should I set a cookie when the customer is clicking on the link in the NL the first time? How could I hand this over to GA and how could I recognize to which parameter this cookie belongs? Is GA User ID here the right method, or would I have a problem to link GA User ID to the other variable(s)?

Yes you certainly could and you could write code to check for the cookie or param and pass to the GATC -- or just use GTM which again can easily get the value of a cookie and you can use a custom HTML tag to set the cookie.

4.) For public area I would have the cookie, for login area the custom variable. Right?

You could do either or both. You could set the cookie and a user based custom dimension (if the values are unique)

5.) For this scenario is no identification possible I think.

Unless you have some sort of organized referral process where the original person can supply a link, no you cannot know more than direct.

6.) Public area no identification, login area custom variable. Right?

Yes and or cookie if you want.

Would be nice if you have some best practices to do this for me Smiley Happy

It's very important for me that I can recognize which variables and cookies belong together. So that in the end I have detailed profiles of mostly every customer.

Thanks to everybody who's reading this and trying to help me.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn