AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Custom segments are resulting in illegal state warning in Goal Flow

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I've created some custom segments (ie conversion 1st visit, conversions 2-3 visit, etc) and when I'm using these segments in Goal Glow, I receive a pop-up notification that state "An illegal state has occurred. The request resulted in an inappropriate state. Reload this page to see whether the problem persists." 

The problem continues to persist, can anyone advise? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jon M
November 2015

Re: Custom segments are resulting in illegal state warning in Goal Flo

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
I used ot get this and other error messages and it was apparently my chrome browser and some plugins i had in it so i went to incognito and it all worked - you could try that.
But I was told by someone when I was trying to figure it out that it was to do with trying to make a report that crossed up hit and session level metrics in a way that made no sense or something like that
- I know that is not a good explanation perhaps someone else who knows it better can elaborate but at teals try the private browning.
also I Googled this and someone else was saying they had errors like this but only with certain date ranges so maybe try adjusting those too.

-------------------------
If I answered your question please 'mark as accepted answer & star' so that we know you have what you need
If my answer was helpful/useful but you still need more info please just 'star'
- if I have not answered your question fully then please let me know by reply and I or others will respond

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jon M
November 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
I used ot get this and other error messages and it was apparently my chrome browser and some plugins i had in it so i went to incognito and it all worked - you could try that.
But I was told by someone when I was trying to figure it out that it was to do with trying to make a report that crossed up hit and session level metrics in a way that made no sense or something like that
- I know that is not a good explanation perhaps someone else who knows it better can elaborate but at teals try the private browning.
also I Googled this and someone else was saying they had errors like this but only with certain date ranges so maybe try adjusting those too.

-------------------------
If I answered your question please 'mark as accepted answer & star' so that we know you have what you need
If my answer was helpful/useful but you still need more info please just 'star'
- if I have not answered your question fully then please let me know by reply and I or others will respond

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
It may be the way the segments are created that's causing some illegal states. I tried your solutions and I'm still having the same issue ::womp womp::. Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
perhaps review this: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/3123951?hl=en
its all about Users - Sessions - Hits
i am using my internal memory that I cannot ratify with my more trusted external memory (google search) but I think this happened to me 'illegal states' and I think this is why - but again that is just an internal memory - prone to errors and data corruption, try that link.
let me know if it helps.

Custom segments are resulting in illegal state warning in Goal Flow

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Regarding this issue, I’ve tried incognito in Chrome, and also in Safari and Firefox, and the problem persists.

It also used to work for me in all these browsers, with no "illegal state" error messages