AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3K members online now
3K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Custom goal setup not available for one account

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I need to use the custom goal setup to track something but that feature isn't available for one one of the customer accounts that I handle. 

For the other accounts, when entering the Goal setup section, I get these options:

goalsetup_standard.png

But this account only provides these options:

goalsetup_thisAccount.png

It's in Swedish but it's only the most basic goal templates: page url, session time, pages per session and events.

I guess it could be an account access thing but it shouldn't according to the setup.

Anyone?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Custom goal setup not available for one account

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Ulrika E,

Well the Swedish is throwing me off. Smiley Happy That said, there really are only 3 kinds of goals : URL, Event or Engagement (pages per session, time on site, etc.) and the other templates (which I never use) just create one of these basic goals. When creating a goal, I find the templates bothersome and just push right into the custom/basic setup.

I've never seen not having the templates so I can't speak to why you are experiencing this but if it's a new account setting -- I want in! Smiley Happy

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Well the trouble is, I can't get to the custom setup for this account. It seems these basic templates are the only options available to me and that creates a problem since they are so basic I can only use 2 matching types for the destination URL: "exact match" and "begins with".

Well this website is huge and has parts that are mirrored - the same content is shown with different URL:s, like this:
/Research/cancer shows the same page as /Universityhospital/Research/cancer for example.

That's why I want to put custom goals so this won't be a problem by setting another matching type for the destination "ends with". Then it won't matter if the page I wanna track (cancer) has one or the other URL:s

But it seems like I won't be able to do that Smiley Sad

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi Ulrika,

I wonder if this is an artifact of the UI refresh. Have you tried to clear cache or perhaps use a browser that you have not previously used for GA?

You should also, of course, have the option of Regular Expression when selecting the destination goal and should be able to use that and a pattern of
/Research/cancer/thank-you to match both.

Best,

Theo Bennett

P.S. What an SEO nightmare. Smiley Happy
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn