AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Custom Dimensions Not Showing in Google Analytics (Google Tag Manager Data Layer Implementation)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

We are trying to pass our A/B test variations as Custom Dimensions. We are using Google Tag Manager. (Side Note - unfortunately I cannot insert screenshots to this post, as I keep getting an error message telling me it is invalid HTML, any idea how to tackle this?)

We are feeding the experimentID and experimentVariation into the data layer. These are then registered as Data Layer Variables in Google Tag Manager.

We have added the Custom Dimension to our main  Universal Analytics Page View Tag.

Tag Assistant displays the correct information.

Just to confirm, the dimension has been set up in Google Analytics as well.

However, after 4 days, we have no data showing in the Custom Variables report in Google Analytics. Any idea if we've missed a step, or implemented something wrong?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author SB Analytics
April 2016

Re: Custom Dimensions Not Showing in Google Analytics (Google Tag Manager Data Layer Implementation)

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Custom variable a bit strange one, it doesn't appear under Audience > Custom > Custom variable. You need to create a custom report with dimension - custom variable (key1), (key2) and so on and then you'll be able to see them in the report.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author SB Analytics
April 2016

Re: Custom Dimensions Not Showing in Google Analytics (Google Tag Manager Data Layer Implementation)

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Custom variable a bit strange one, it doesn't appear under Audience > Custom > Custom variable. You need to create a custom report with dimension - custom variable (key1), (key2) and so on and then you'll be able to see them in the report.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Syed, managed to make a custom report to find it. I knew there would be an easy solution, much appreciated!