AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Custom Dimension Applied as Secondary Dimension - innacurate

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

I have a custom dimension in my report called 'Payment Type', it is 'Hit' scope. The problem is this:

When I apply 'Payment Type' as a secondary dimension in the Transactions Report the total value of all my transactions is reduced. Some transaction id's appear to have no 'Payment Type' which should not be the case.

The strange thing is this, if I then create the following advanced segment

Transaction ID EQUALS {{Transaction IDs with missing Payment Type}}

AND

Payment Type EQUALS {{Any Payment Type}}

It then shows the Transaction Ids in the Transaction Report! BUT If I then apply the secondary dimension of 'Payment Type' again to the report table, all the transactions go missing!

Any thoughts, is the hit data been overwritten by a blank but the previous hit remains? any ideas

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Custom Dimension Applied as Secondary Dimension - innacurate

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Stephen,

I cannot actually deconstruct that behavior exactly - but you definitely should use 'session' instead of 'hit' scope for a payment type. Payment type is much more a feature of a user session that it is of a single page. Hit scope is more for page properties like page author, page category etc. I'd guess that this would solve the issue already.

Christoph

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Christoph,

I have a similar problem. I use 'hit' scope for identifying users as 'managers', 'agents' and 'end-users'. I would have used 'user' as scope but when I tested this, I was a manager and an end-user depending on if I had logged in or not, and every time I logged out (or in) all of the statistics in Google Analytics changed to the role that I was currently having, e.g. if I logged out and waited for a few moments, all the statistics changed from 'manager' to 'end-user'. This is why I used 'hit' as scope.
Another problem I face is that as soon as I add the custom dimension user role as secondary dimension, the search terms still show but the statistics only show 'zero' in all columns.
Any ideas on how to fix this would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Sandra

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi,

the main issue here is when you query the data for transaction id with the CD payment type it cannot be displayed as payment type is probably sent with a pageview hit and not a transaction hit. Changing the scope of CD to session would remedy the situation.

On the other hand applying a segment means - include all SESSIONS / USERS so in short will display all hits for sessions users where the condititions match.

@sandra - the logic you are using now needs to change. Assign a value Moderator to a CD when it is available regardless if the current logged in status is yes / no. In other words a user can be a moderator regardless if currently authorized or not. In your case I would use 2 custom dimensions where 1 would be login status (session) and 2 would user role (session / user).

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Sandra,

that's right - if you define an end user explicitely by assigning a custom dimension when he logs out or loads a public page, you'll overwrite a previous manager or partner status immediately.

Consider, in contrast, to use 'user' scope but to omit the end-user custom dimension at all. In this way, a manager's or partner's status would be persistent, even still being there next time he'd be visiting the site (if cookies aren't deleted). End users in this model would be those without any customer dimension assigned.

Christoph

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Zorin and Christoph,

We use SSO, so every user is logged before they access any content and they are logged in all the time. End-users are logged in users who do not have agent or manager status. If they were logged out (if we didn't use SSO), their user role would be 'anonymous'.
Just to make sure, if I change the scope from hit to user now, do you think this will help me solve my problem? Will this manipulate data from now on or also previous data?
We have two problems: If I add the CD user role as secondary dimension, I get less search results than when I don't have the secondary dimension displayed. This seems odd because I do have SSO in place which means the user role should be tracked continuously. The other issue is that when I add the CD as secondary dimension all the statistics disappear and I only see zeros in the stats.
Do you think changing the scope will solve both problems?

Thanks so much for your help.

All the best,
Sandra

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hi Sandra,

change the scope to either user or session as you push the value on each session as I understand. One other option would include that you do not pass the anonymous role as it is not really a role but just a sign of a not logged in user.

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Zorin,

Thanks so much for your reply.

I changed the scope to 'session' and the statistics are now showing when I add the user role as secondary dimension! Smiley Happy Thanks!

There are two things though where I am not sure why they are occurring. Some of the search terms my colleague and I searched for last week (until 4 December) are tracked in Google Analytics on 8 December. Is a delay like this normal?

The other strange thing is that my colleague's user role (which is 'agent') was sometimes recorded incorrectly as 'manager'.

If you have any idea why this is occurring, I would really appreciate it if you could let me know.

Thanks so much!

Kind regards,
Sandra

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Hi Sandra,

the search term occurring at a later point might be due to a search-engine visit of your collegue followed by a later direct visit. The direct visits don't overwrite existing referrers so the last search term is still with him on Dec 8.

Christoph

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Christoph,

I am a little bit lost here... My colleague shuts down his computer every evening so I thought these would be two different sessions anyway. We had not been working between Dec 5 and today (Dec 10), so I am wondering why the search terms came through as Dec 8.

If you can think of another possible explanation, please let me know.

Thanks so much for your help!

Warm regards,
Sandra