Analytics
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Cross domain tracking or multiple containers?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all!!

I just started in a new company and they have the strangest set up for the ga accounts. They have 7 different websites (different url's) but they share the same shopping cart. 

That's triggering a lot of problems that I'm not sure how to solve as I'm also new to GTM.

- Do you recommend different containers or cross domain tracking?

They want to treat each brand individually but as the shopping cart is common I don't know how to treat  it in GTM. Should old the tags be the same or I can create different tags for each one?

- Bounce rate is particularly low (around 18%). I check and it have only the GTM code so I don't know which other problem can be.

- I want to create conversion funnels, as they don't have and for me is basic analyse the shopping behaviour. Will I have problems setting the goals as the product pages are different but basket is common (how I can avoid duplicate the tracking).

- There is a way to see in GA which tags are firing? they're not following any naming conversion so is quite tricky to understand what they did.

- What will be the implications if I delete the tags and re-tag the site?

Thanks!!!!!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Cross domain tracking or multiple containers?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Carla,

ufff a long listSmiley Happy

Do you recommend different containers or cross domain tracking?
Different containers may be applied if each of the sites in question uses different ad agencies or tracking needs are completely specific to a site - potentially you can track all sites with only one container.
Cross domain tracking can be done in one container for multiple sites or in multiple containers for multiple sites - GTM is just an empty shell that allows you to set cross domain up.
So these are completely separate questions:

1. Does my organization and tracking needs require multiple containers?
  2. Do my tracking needs require cross domain tracking to be set up? - probably yes as you have a shopping cart which is probably on a 3rd party domain

In addition to question 2 - do all of the sites share the tracking ID UA-XXXXXXX-1 or does each have a separate ID - separate property / account

Bounce rate at 18% - it is hard to say if it is measured correctly or not - You would need to debug the implementation to see if there are any issues which affect bounce rate reporting - double tagging, interaction events or similar.

Funnels and tracking multiple sites to combined cart. 

Ok this is not so tricky as it seems the issue is to track site attribution in sales so for instance if you have GTM on all your sites you can:
Based on the document.referrer hostname coming to your shopping cart you can determine which tracking ID will be used so for site A > shopping cart use UA-xxxx-1 or for site B > shopping cart use UA-xxx-2 - and you can create goal funnel or EnhancedEcommerce shopping steps with ease.
It entirely depends on how you track your entire site setup.

Which tags are firing

You can see it inside GTM - if you have access to the account / container. 

You can see it in Google Analytics by data it is collecting. 

You can use a Chrome extension GA debugger which will expose what is sent. 

Implications of deleting / re-tagging 

It is very hard to say there could be none, some or very drastic implications. 

Kind regards,

Zorin

Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you very much Zorin In reply to your question they all have different ID tracking (separate properties). DISCLAIMER This message is intended only for the use of the person(s) ("Intended Recipient") to whom it is addressed. It may contain information, which is privileged and confidential; accordingly such information may only be read, forwarded, copied and used by the Intended Recipient. Any dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of this message or any of its content by any person other than the Intended Recipient may constitute a breach of civil or criminal law and is strictly prohibited. If you are not the Intended Recipient, please delete this message and contact the sender as soon as possible. Unless expressly stated, opinions in this email are solely those of the author and not of Jacques Vert Group. Even though Jacques Vert Group have taken steps to ensure this email is defect and virus free email communication cannot be guaranteed to be reliable, secure, error-free or virus free. Accordingly, we do not accept responsibility for any defects, viruses, and/or inaccuracies within this email and will not be liable for damage or potential damage to systems or data that may have resulted from the transmission of this email. Jacques Vert Group reserves the right to monitor e-mail communications through its IT networks, in order to protect its customers, suppliers, employees and other business partners. Jacques Vert Group 46, Colebrooke Row, London, N1 8AF

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi the trick here would be to have a dynamically assigned tracking ID in the shopping basket which will depend on where the user came from - which of the 7 sites.

A lookup table or a custom JS variable in GTM will be suggested here to do that.

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net