Analytics
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Cross domain tracking + mobile

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, 

Since a few months, we have a higher direct traffic. We have checked all our refferer but nothing gives us an explanation. So, i've begun to look about cross domain tracking. And it was exactly that. 

We have an e-commerce website like www.exemple.com and when the user enters the booking funnel the website changes to reservation.anotherexample.com 

The user session started again on the first bookin funnel step. So i've edited the cross domain tracking and now all our desktop sessions are tracked across our 2 different domains. 

However, i've noticed that our cross domain traffic doesn"t work on mobile/tablet device while our mobile/tablet website is the same as our desktop website. 

Do you have any idea why i have this issue ? 

Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Madame V
June

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Guys , 

Just to clear that point and bring an answer at someone with the same issue. 

Our website fired 3 analytics accounts for different reasons. I've just put the AllowLinker to TRUE and just deactivated 2 accounts of 3. 

So our cross domain tracking started to show some sparks. But it wasn't sufficient. 

I've noticed that our website generated links in Javascript but those links didn't have the _ga parameter when the user clicked on it. so now i get the _ga value in JS and add it to the JS link, and everything's fine. 

Thank you @Taavi Kalvi for your help. 

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Could you please share the URL of your website? (you can modify this post later if you want)

We'll take a look what might be the issue.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Taavi

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi , 

Thanks for your reply, 

The URL of my website is www.skifrance.co.uk and the URL of booking funnel is reservation.madamevacances.com

Re: Cross domain tracking + mobile

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Thanks for the URL. It seems like cross-domain tracking is still not working properly on a desktop as well.
You've used GTM and you're sending data to 2 different properties and they both have the same problem.

Take a look (I will remove those images later):

cdt1.png

cdt2.png

Client ID-s changes if someone moves from one domain to another and this is the indication that cross-domain tracking is not working properly (it's not configured properly)

Recommend reading those topics and articles to fix it:

1) https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6163791?hl=en

2) https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Google-Analytics-Code/Cross-Domain-Tracking-outdated-docum...

3) https://www.simoahava.com/analytics/troubleshooting-cross-domain-tracking-in-google-analytics/

4) http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2016/08/01/need-cross-domain-tracking/

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes. Looking forward to hearing from you.
Taavi

Re: Cross domain tracking + mobile

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

Thanks for your return, however when I look on my GA debug console, it looks that the cross domain works. 

Take a look below

Capture.PNG

And I saw that on the two differents properties. 

So, can you explain me more, please? 

I've already read and done what the links you gave me say. And I've tested a tracking with a personalized UTM source/medium to see if the session is correctly tracking. However, I've noticed 2 issues that are tracking is not working on mobile/tablet and that we are losing tracking with AdWords (google CPC).

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Madame V
June

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Guys , 

Just to clear that point and bring an answer at someone with the same issue. 

Our website fired 3 analytics accounts for different reasons. I've just put the AllowLinker to TRUE and just deactivated 2 accounts of 3. 

So our cross domain tracking started to show some sparks. But it wasn't sufficient. 

I've noticed that our website generated links in Javascript but those links didn't have the _ga parameter when the user clicked on it. so now i get the _ga value in JS and add it to the JS link, and everything's fine. 

Thank you @Taavi Kalvi for your help.