AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Cross domain page destination goal

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Can we do the following with page destination goal...

1. person visits site to download plugin
  2. install plugin and then activates key
  3. key activation opens iframe back to our site
  4. i create page destination with that iframe url

Can GA session capture that iframe in the same session for attribution?

Please advise

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Marco P
June 2016

Re: Cross domain page destination goal

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Marco,

It sounds like it should be possible but they may use a different browser or take some time to activate the plugin plus a host of other possible issues here.

At the moment you can see sessions on the iFrame URL?

What you could potentially do is use the UserID function in Universal Analytics - assign an ID at download stage, then capture the same ID from the page when they activate.

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/3123662?hl=en

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Marco P
June 2016

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Marco,

It sounds like it should be possible but they may use a different browser or take some time to activate the plugin plus a host of other possible issues here.

At the moment you can see sessions on the iFrame URL?

What you could potentially do is use the UserID function in Universal Analytics - assign an ID at download stage, then capture the same ID from the page when they activate.

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/3123662?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Sounds fair,

Thank you for the ID suggestion. With this method would it still be affected by new browser or new session or ID remain the same by IP or something?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hey Marco,

This is basically a name tag for your users. When they're on your site, they're given the name tag, so when they come back - whether it's on a different device, browser, IP - they still have that name tag to recognise them.

Ali

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
who does GA know if they are from a new device? is this something they have to log into to be assigned?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

I see your point, but I thought perhaps every download had some kind of ID which was present in the activation, or does everyone go to the activation page?

To test your current setup:

1. Use the Google URL Builder to create a test campaign, source and medium

2. Using a private browsing window, use the link you create to visit your site

3. Activate your plugin via the iFrame

4. Check in analytics (it may take up to 15 minutes to appear) to check if your test campaign/source/medium converted

If it did, then it's saving the session information.

Ali

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
People do not have to log in to anything to get the plugin download.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Marco,

It doesn't have to be a login, just an identifier that's there at download and at validation.

So anyone can go on, download the plugin and validate, but also anyone can go to the validation page, downloading isn't a requirement?

Ali

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
downloading may be skipped and auto installed but when they activate we want to track that event.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hey Marco,

Can you run that test I suggested and also, sharing the URL may help me better understand the journey.

Ali