2.2K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Cross Domain Tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

There is a cross-domain tracking issue in my website. When a visitor tries go to booking domain, the _ga cookie ID appends to the destination domain URL, but when we check the cookies, the _ga cookie ID is different.

say example1.com is home domain and the cookie ID is _ga:xxxxxxxxxxxxxx6029

when you go the destination domain, say example2.com, this cookie ID appends to the URL https://www.example2.com/?_ga= xxxxxxxxxxxxxx6029.

But, when we check the cookies at this point, _ga cookie has different ID _ga:xxxxxxxxxxxxxx6117.

Google’s tag assistant record report shows 2 sessions, which means session has broken.

GA debug console give following error

Bad or expired linker parameter hash: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx6029

I can guarantee you the GTM configuration like cookieDomain, allowLinker, cross-domain list all are correctly configured.

What could be the reason?

Cross Domain Tracking

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Well, if you can guarantee that everything is correctly configured, then it would also work ;-)

One thing that you didn't mention: Is Cross Domain Tracking configured in GTM on both sites as well? And have you entered the list of domains to auto-link in your pageview tag?

Cross Domain Tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Phillip S,

Thank you for the reply.

Yes, in both domains it is configured correctly. Actually this work fine earlier, and we did a site revamp and this all started after that.

Cross Domain Tracking

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Could you post a link to the website in question, so I can check it out?

Cross Domain Tracking

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm really sorry, That's quite not possible Smiley Sad 

Cross Domain Tracking

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Well, if everything is configured correctly, then your problem is likely on the website. Since the problem appeared when you "revamped" the website, it's fair to assume that something on the new website is breaking the cross domain tracking.

A couple of things to check:

- Are cross domain parameters persisted when moving from one site to the other? I.e. if you have redirects in place, then make sure that the ?_ga parameter is not thrown away during a redirect.

- Do you have any javascript that modifies or alters the native date functions in the browser? The linker parameter expires after two minutes, but if you're modifying date functions in some way, you might be breaking the cross domain tracking yourself.

- Classic debugging. Try and disable/remove javascripts on your websites one by one to see if the removal of one or more scripts will make it work.

- Also, if you're debugging, remember to clear your cookies every time you run a new test scenario.

Cross Domain Tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Will do all these and update you Smiley Happy thank you so muchSmiley Happy Smiley Happy