3.4K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Cross Domain Tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm trying to implement cross domain tracking for two sites, tiaacharitable.org and tiaacharitable.donorfirst.org, but I can't get it working. Both are using Universal Analytics. Tiaacharitable.org has it implemented by Google Tag Manager. On the pageview tag I set as shown in the attached screen grab where {{Auto Link DonorFirst Domain}} = tiaacharitable.donorfirst.org.

Screen Shot 2016-03-08 at 16.53.06.png

Tiaacharitable.donorfirst.org isn't implemented by Google Tag Manager but is Universal Analytics code added directly on all site pages. The code is implemented as:

Screen Shot 2016-03-08 at 16.56.09.png

I added the respective domains to the appropriate referral exclusion list and added the filter to tiaacharitable.com's GA to include hostname in the request URI, yet I'm not seeing the tiaacharitable.donorfirst.org showing up in the tiaacharitable analytics. Can anyone help me understand why cross domain tracking isn't working?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author James W
March 2016

Re: Cross Domain Tracking

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi James,

If you want to track pages in a single property from multiple domains you need to use the same property ID on both domains. If you want to track users moving across the domains as a single session, you need to set up cross domain tracking and to add the domains to the referral exclusion list.
If you're tracking the sites as separate properties you don't need to implement cross domain tracking as it is not working for two different properties. Let me know if you have more questions.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi James,

Can you please explain how you mean:
"I'm not seeing the tiaacharitable.donorfirst.org showing up in the tiaacharitable analytics."

If you use the same property ID on both sites then pages from both sites should show up in reports even without cross domain tracking. Cross domain tracking makes possible to see sessions on two sites as a single session.

Also in your universal analytics code, you need to specify the other domain in the autoLink command and to use the send command last. Please see:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034342?hl=en

Hope this helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Arnold,

Thank you for your quick response. From the link you provided I see now that I need to include the domain and send command, which is very helpful. However, I do still have one question regarding the property ID. Is it essential that they use the same one? Currently I use UA-64459730-1 for tiaacharitable.org and UA-64459730-5 for tiaacharitable.donorfirst.org. If I simply used the same ID I would think I would need to implement cross domain tracking. Am I wrong in this assumption?

Thanks again for your help.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author James W
March 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi James,

If you want to track pages in a single property from multiple domains you need to use the same property ID on both domains. If you want to track users moving across the domains as a single session, you need to set up cross domain tracking and to add the domains to the referral exclusion list.
If you're tracking the sites as separate properties you don't need to implement cross domain tracking as it is not working for two different properties. Let me know if you have more questions.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I'm looking to track users moving across the domains as a single session for campaign tracking purposes, so based on your response I need to set up cross domain tracking and to add the domains to the referral exclusion list. This was helpful.

Thanks again.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Arnold,

After your help and reviewing numerous articles about setting up cross domain tracking for different domains (e.g., abc.com and xyz.com). I'm still having trouble getting cross domain tracking working. I'm hoping you might be able to help or recommend someone or a company that could provide assistance. My sites abc.com is set up using GTM and zyx.com with Universal Analytics code per every article I've found on the web. I followed all the steps exactly (including referral exclusions) and when I review the Site Content | All Pages report on abc.com I still only see visited content for abc.com. I do my testing on the All Site Data rather than filtered versions just so that I can see if the pages are coming though. I expected that I would see pages for both abc.com and xyz.com. And yes, I can confirm there has been site traffic on xyz.com. I can see the ga ID passed from abc.com to xyz.com and see the GA ID from abc.com in the GA cookie on xyz.com. I confirmed the debug messages in the browser console are not reporting any Universal Analytics error messages. Could my issue be the fact that the ga('send', 'pageview'); command needs to be the last line of code after the require and linker:autoLink commands? Currently it is just before those two lines of code. Is there anything else I may be missing? I appreciate any help you can provide.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello there Arnold Smiley Happy
I am looking for a little help for one situation that I have regarding cross domain tracking.
I am replying to your message here to check out your opinion about this:
I want to track user who go from my Landing page - www.products.domain.com to the Thank You page - which is on www.thankyou.domain.com, but the domain name is the same.
How can I do this? Could you help me with an idea?
Should I treat my Landing Page and my Thank You page as 2 different domains and apply this solution that you mentioned above?

Thank you a lot!
Roxana S.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi Roxana,

You don't need to set up cross domain tracking for subdomains in Universal Analytics. Make sure that you use the same tracking code on all subdomains.

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/

Hope this helps.