AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Creating a goal from an event

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi there,

I am trying to create a goal from an event I have set up on my site:

The Event Category is: Payment

The Event action is a dynamic date so for eg Arrival:Fri 8th Jul 2016 - 1 night or another one would be Arrival:Fri 21st Oct 2016 - 2 nights

THere is no Event Label

So how should I enter this into GA as a goal because Payment is the only set field?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Cosi C
July 2016

Re: Creating a goal from an event

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Cosi,

If you want to track that event I would recommend follwing

Event Category EQUALS TO: Payment
Event Action REGULAR EXPRESSION: "(.*)Booking(.*)" (without quotation marks) or if you're really sure that it starts with word "Booking": "^Booking(.*)" (without quotation marks).

This way you would record event that in category field contains word "Payment" and with action field that contains word "Booking" - either in any place of the phrase (if you choose first proposal above) or explicitly at the beginning (if you choose the second proposal).

I truly hope it helped - if you have any other questions then please let me know. I'd be glad to help.

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Cosi,

is this type of events the only ones that have the "Payment" category?

If yes, it is enough to configure only the Category field in the Goal settings.

If not, you can insert a static piece of text in either action or label, and use this text as a matching criterion in the Goal settings.

For example, you could insert in the Event label the text "Payment completed". Then, in the goal settings, you insert "Payment" as Event Category field and "Payment completed" in the Event Label field.

(however, I think that in your case it might be "cleaner" to put the booking dates in the label, and the "Payment completed" text in the action, in order to keep a sort of hierarchic level of information)

Hope it helps.

I wish you a great day,

Gabriele

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
This is a really helpful reply so thank you.

Im still a bit stuck because this is an unusual situation in that I can't control the events as they all take place on the third party booking site. I simply entered my GA key to the booking site which is why the events appear in my GA.

There are annoyingly 2 payment events so I can't just put payment as the event category.

The difference between the two payment events are in the action which to give 2 examples below.

First Payment event:
Event Category: Payment
Event Action: arrival:dd mm yyyy - # nights

Second Payment event - the one I want to track
Event Category: Payment
Event Action: Booking :: Arrival:dd mm yyyy - # nights

So the event action I want to track starts with the word Booking but Im not sure how to create a goal around that fact. I tried to create the following goal

Event Category EQUAL TO Payment
Event Action BEGINS WITH Booking

But that didn't work?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Cosi C
July 2016

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Cosi,

If you want to track that event I would recommend follwing

Event Category EQUALS TO: Payment
Event Action REGULAR EXPRESSION: "(.*)Booking(.*)" (without quotation marks) or if you're really sure that it starts with word "Booking": "^Booking(.*)" (without quotation marks).

This way you would record event that in category field contains word "Payment" and with action field that contains word "Booking" - either in any place of the phrase (if you choose first proposal above) or explicitly at the beginning (if you choose the second proposal).

I truly hope it helped - if you have any other questions then please let me know. I'd be glad to help.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thank you - so helpful and all working well now!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Glad I could help Smiley Happy.