Analytics
2K members online now
2K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Create Funnel visualization to an event

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello 

I am trying to create a destination goal that leads to a event.

I first tried to set a destination goal with the destination URL as  http://www.hqontario.ca/portals/0/Documents/pr/measuring-up-2016-en.pdf 

Since this is not technically a page, GA wont let me set this the destination.

I would like to somehow create a funnel visualization that shows traffic through the site to eventually get to the event. 

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Benjamin M
Events cannot be steps in goal funnels. 
What can be done, instead of tracking an event, it can be setup to track as a virtual pageview instead 

and this will then show in the pageview report and the virtual pageview can be used as a goal destination url or steps within a goal funnel

so.. instead of tracking say an onclick event for the link to the pdf.. you could instead have an onclick configured as such:

ga('send', 'pageview', 'page path');

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank You.  I will give that a try.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Have you tried setting up an event on the button or trigger that takes you to the pdf, and then create an "event based goal" in goals?  This should also allow you to have your goal and its funnel as all of the other goals do. Let me know what you think!