Analytics
3K members online now
3K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Count the number of unique urls with a conversion

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a setup that tracks conversions by counting page calls.

A user receives a link that looks like 

example.com/thanks.php&token=abc?rel=1

Some users click the link several times and thus trigger multiple conversions. Since the users are coming from different sources I cannot use AdWords conversions.

Is there a way to receive the number of converted people?

My current approach is to export the urls to excel, but that is no real solution.

Re: Count the number of unique urls with a conversion

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Michel,
you could create a segment at user level that filter out only the user that see that page view.
in this way if you look at the overview report you will see how many user see that link.
But you can not look at the source and medium data.

The best solution could be to change the implementation.
you could track that objective creating a virtual ecommerce transaction.
When user see the page the first time you send the transaction and setup a cookie on their browser, if the see the page a second time on a different session the cookie prevent to fire the commerce tracking
here and example to do it with GTM
http://www.simoahava.com/gtm-tips/prevent-repeat-transactions/

The nice part of this that you can have Goal that show you all the conversions with duplicated one if they complete it on different sessione, and you have the analysis of all medium and source, that you can use the ecommerce transaction to se conversion deduplicated and see medium and source of only the first transaction.

Fil

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Or you can just look at "Unique page views" for this particular site in Behavior->Site Content-> All Pages

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your input!
Each token is unique, so the URL for each user is unique.
So basically I need to count the unique &token=abc parts in order to determine the count.
Looks like I have to do it in excel, analytics isn't too strong in aggregating values to user defined formulas.
Or maybe I am not ;-)

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Create a custom dimension with a scope of users - https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2709828?hl=en#example-user
Than you see how many counts that CD has and that is your number of users.

Another way is to use the User ID feature in Google Analytics.
Have the code on these pages predefined with a extra line userid = abc
This way you'll also get the unique number of users + if they click on that link from multiple devices you'll be able to measure their cross device activity.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
If the URL for each user is unique then in Behavior->Site Content-> All Pages report filter it using regular expression "*.token=.*"
In result you'll see the list containg only URLs with phrase "token" in it. Then in the bottom-right side of this report you'll see how many rows there is in your report - it's your number of unique tokens. I think it's the most elegant solution and requires minimum effort.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Made mistake in regular expression. It should be: ".*token=.*" (without quotation marks)