AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Conversions tracked, funnel steps = 0. What is the problem?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

I have set up a funnel like this:

https://goo.gl/photos/Phop2FUAQcFpUDZRA

This is the result:

https://goo.gl/photos/boLZMzmnCxTeTEFT9

How is it possible to have conversions counted in a funnel, where the mandatory steps are not met?

I checked if the URLs in the steps (which are virtual) are being fired at all. All, except the last step are recorded in pages report in google analytics (last stap isn't, some bug).

So what would be the best course of action here? How can i get this to work and why isn't it working?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Conversions tracked, funnel steps = 0. What is the problem?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,
which match case did you use for the goal destination URL (exact, begins with or regex)?

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Zorin,

Regex

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Back to the original question - funnel steps only affect funnel visualization report - the goal completion will be recorder regardless if the funnel steps are filled (by the end user) or not. So in short if I land on the destination URL it will count as goal completion +1 yet my funnel visualization report will be messed up as in Your example.

Kind regards,
Zorin

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
I thought missing steps are supposed to be backfilled? So if I set impossible steps, GA will assume the user completed this steps and it will show 100% for each step?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
"The required first step applies only to the Funnel Visualization report. When you mark a first step as required, the Funnel Visualization report only includes goal conversions that pass through that required step. Other sessions are just dropped from the report."
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2976313?hl=en

hm... according to this I should have 0 conversions in my visualisation, or am I not understanding it? SInce my first step shows 0 sessions and its mandatory. Yet I see lots of completions at the end of the funnel.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
The steps are backfilled only if previous steps (higher in the funnel) have a lower counts.

One question - was there a change to the goal recently or was the setup there for a long time? If there was a recent change are you looking at date range prior or post change?

Kind regards,
Zorin

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
I found the error. The regex for the goal was matching on every single step. Now it works!

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
"The steps are backfilled only if previous steps (higher in the funnel) have a lower counts."

Does that also count for the first step, or only for previous steps, which are not the first step?