AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4K members online now
4K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Conversions by Campaign - (not set) displayed when refining by secondary dimension

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Obligatory newbie disclaimer: I'm relatively new to GA. Forgive me.

I cannot make sense of this. I'm am trying to create a custom report to display conversion and transaction data for a variety of email campaigns. To start, I'm experimenting with one specific campaign.

If I navigate to Conversions -> e-commerce -> transactions, and segment by campaign name matching regex .*xxxxxx.*, I can see all transactions from this campaign, suggesting that UTM tags are created correctly and the segment filter via regex is capturing the correct data. However, if I do not segment, and try to refine by secondary dimension "campaign", I only see (not set) in the campaign field for each transaction. Adding an advanced filter to 'include' 'campaign' 'matching regex' .*xxxxxx.*, no transactions appear.

If transactions from this campaign can be viewed via segmentation, suggesting that campaign UTM is correct and functioning, why is the campaign field displaying (not set) when there is no segmentation happening?

Any help would be appreciated.

Best,

John

1 Expert replyverified_user

Conversions by Campaign - (not set) displayed when refining by secondary dimension

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

John,

The results you describe are unexpected.  Is your segment a user based or session based segment and are you seeing sampling?  Either could explain the results.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you, Theo.

I did see different results in my segmentation by switching from 'Filter Users' to 'Filter Sessions'. When segmenting by 'campaign' with the option 'Filter Users', all relevant transactions appear. When switching this segmentation to 'Filter Sessions', no results appear. The standard 'transactions' report under 'ecommerce' must be sessions based, as refining by secondary dimension 'campaign' while viewing this report returns the same results as segmenting by campaign while filtering by sessions. Whether or not this transactions report can be altered to report based on users, is beyond the scope of my GA knowledge. 

Also, whether viewing the segmented report or the non-segmented report, I'm looking at a narrow time-window, and GA is telling me that the report is based on 100% of sessions, so I don't believe sampling is a factor here.

But let me add something to this. If I view the 'transactions' report under 'ecommerce', and add a segment: 'campaign' 'matches regex' .*xxxxxx.*, all relevant transactions appear, and I am certain that the returned transactions can be attributed to the campaign for which I'm searching. If I then add a secondary dimension 'campaign', all campaign fields display (not set). It seems obvious that UTM data for campaign is being received correctly by GA, as relevant transactions are being displayed via the segmentation, but I cannot understand why the added secondary dimension 'campaign' would still display (not set).

Your help is sincerely appreciated.

Best,

John

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

John,

Are all transactions not set for campaign?  Do you have a third party payment provider?  It sounds like you do and you'll need to set a referral exclusion.

-Theo

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks, Theo.

Yes, all transactions display not set in campaign field. And all payments are handled directly on our site, no third party provider.

John